DC motor - attach something?

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Hi!
On all the dc motors I have, the rotating "sticks" are different sizes and shapes, some hexagons and some completely round.
How can I attach something that not normally fits there? For exemple a gear to the round stick of the motor?

Glue? Soldering?
What about a metal stick to a plastic gear?

Thanks!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
He has or has seen motors with a variety of differently shaped axles. Some circular, some hexagonal, etc... These he calls "sticks"; I'd call them axles. He wants to know how to attach something to them, like a wheel or gear.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
MOD NOTE: No indication that this has anything to do with automotive discussions. Moving it to General Electronics Chat.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I call the rotating part extending from a motor the shaft. The shafts are generally round and come in a variety of diameters. The shaft can be adapted to a variety of drive fixtures like a sprocket for a chain drive or arbors. You want a gear? Buy a gear with the diameter you want for the shaft size you have. Determine your gear pitch and pressure angle and motor to drive it.

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Hi!
How can I attach something that not normally fits there? For exemple a gear to the round stick of the motor?

Glue? Soldering?
What about a metal stick to a plastic gear?

Thanks!
The common industrial method for coupling using the motor shaft is a straight key or woodruff key, a coupling of some kind is often used, spider, bellow type, all depends on the load and whether backlash is allowed.
NO glue, soldering or other superficial methods.
Plastic gear is prone to wear.
Check out Misumi products for couplings etc.
Max.

Captain E

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Thanks a lot for the helpful informations guys! Yes, I seem to call them "sticks" haha I havn't found an "official" name for them :p

I didn't know about straight/woodruff keys or any of the coupling methods. Now I know, and I will now try to find where I can get them locally ^^

Thanks again!

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
It depends on the size of motor, you are unlikely to find a woodruff key on a small DC motor. Plastic gears and pulleys are likely to be an interference fit and metal components will probably be secured by a small screw.