Dash cam customer wiring to solve vehicle Start/Stop Technology from causing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

hank75

Joined Mar 22, 2019
Hi, I'm Henry and new to the forum, I am an automotive technician
Some may think this should be in the automotive thread, but I think I'll get better results here.
So, I installed a dash cam that is basically a bigger rear-view mirror, this:
https://www.amazon.ca/TOGUARD-Waterproof-170°Wide-G-Sensor-Detection/dp/B07DN8Q8Q6
It is powered by a USB that runs off the cars ACC plug(cig lighter), so 12-14 volts to (usb) I think about 5 volts converter.
It only runs while the ACC socket is powered, and the dash cam shuts down when acc socket is live.
What happens is when the dash cam initially turns on, there is a display in the mirror glass of what the cam is recording, then after 30 seconds that image turns off so you can use the rear-view as its intended for.
My 2017 Ford Escape is wired so the acc sockets are always powered on, so the cam would never shut down.
I bought USB hardwire kit that only is powered with key on, and it works great: This:
https://www.amazon.ca/SHISHUO-Dash-...+volt+kit&qid=1553553104&s=electronics&sr=1-5
So here's my problem;
My vehicle has a feature called Auto Start/Stop, basically when you stop with your foot on the brake pedal and vehicle is in gear( waiting at a stop light) the engine shuts off and will remain off until you lift your foot from the brake pedal or put it in park, then the engine automatically restarts and away you go.
What's happening is there must be a momentary voltage drop in the fuse panel when the engine auto re-starts and what happens is the recording image pops back on the display for the 30 seconds which is annoying and blocks my rear-view for that time.
It will not do this if I use the provided ACC plug, but I want to use the hardwire kit I installed so I don't have to keep unplugging and plugging in that ACC plug, I bought the hardwire kit so it is a " set it and forget it"
Would a capacitor in-line with the 12 volt feed hold the voltage momentarily while the vehicle re-starts? I know something greater than 15 volts is needed but, What rating of cap would you use?
Thanks

hank75

Joined Mar 22, 2019
I have finally found some time to create my circuit, First post explains what I am trying to create, but I am not sure where to put the diode and in which direction of flow, or maybe I need 2 on each end. Would this be the correct diode to use? I need the capacitor to hold the voltage just for the camera, Without a diode, my entire car will draw off the capacitor when the engine restarts, I have to allow the capacitor to charge up but be isolated from the rest of the cars electrical section
My idea for a circuit
upload_2019-6-27_17-46-37.png

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
A 1N4004 diode can handle up to 1A. How much current does the dashcam need?
The diode should be connected with the cathode, marked with a stripe, connected to the capacitor.
upload_2019-6-28_10-6-27.jpeg

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Would it be easier to just change your voltage source? Or rewire your cigarette lighter to hot at all times? It seems like an easier solution.

hank75

Joined Mar 22, 2019
A 1N4004 diode can handle up to 1A. How much current does the dashcam need?
The diode should be connected with the cathode, marked with a stripe, connected to the capacitor.
View attachment 180484
Thanks for tor the directions, so just for clarity , the cathode should be connected to the positive of the cap?
As far as what the cam pulls, I can’t say unless I measure it, but the supply cable is rated at 2 amp, which really doesn’t give an actual rating of what the the cam pulls, just the max the cable can supply.
Can you give maybe an alternate suggestion for a diode that can handle up to 2 amps?
Thanks

Last edited:

hank75

Joined Mar 22, 2019
Would it be easier to just change your voltage source? Or rewire your cigarette lighter to hot at all times? It seems like an easier solution.
Thanks,
The entire car’s body electrical system does the voltage blip, i’ve Tried many sources.
The cig plug is factory set to be on all the time, this is what I’m trying to get away from because my cam will never shut off(battery drain)
I’d like a clean, no wire install

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Thanks,
The entire car’s body electrical system does the voltage blip, i’ve Tried many sources.
The cig plug is factory set to be on all the time, this is what I’m trying to get away from because my cam will never shut off(battery drain)
I’d like a clean, no wire install
I use pretty much the same dash cam in my van, the battery drain is very little. I actually leave mine on all the time because my van is to big to fit in the garage and its an added advantage of being a security camera.

If this is a daily driver there is nothing to worry about just leaving it on. Most of them have their own sleep mode where they cut off if no activity and then wake up when triggered. Check in the options of the device. If its rarely driven and you want a clean no wires insight instal then I would just install a switch in the dash or around the cam to turn it on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.