Darkness Detecting Solar Circuit

researchstudent

Joined Sep 27, 2017
Hello! I am working on a project in which I am trying to trigger a servo motor windshield wiper to clear off a solar panel when it is obstructed. I have an arduino starter kit, and have access to a arduino uno board. Do you think it is possible to use the Solar Panel as an LDR to detect light so that the mechanism is triggered when it is dark? Any suggestions or advice is welcome, thank you!!

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Hello! I am working on a project in which I am trying to trigger a servo motor windshield wiper to clear off a solar panel when it is obstructed. I have an arduino starter kit, and have access to a arduino uno board. Do you think it is possible to use the Solar Panel as an LDR to detect light so that the mechanism is triggered when it is dark? Any suggestions or advice is welcome, thank you!!
LDR=light dependent resistor, or photoresistor. It is distinct from a solar panel.

What you describe is actually a complicated real-world problem that deserves some thought.

If you simply assume that when the output of the solar panel is low it is obstructed, you will be running the wiper all night and maybe even when clouds go by.

If you add an LDR, that would work sometimes, but what happens when the LDR itself gets obstructed? Then you have the possibility of running the wipers when the solar panel is not obstructed.

Can the angle of the solar panel decrease the possibility of obstruction? What about if you mounted 1-4 LDRs around the solar panel - could that help discriminate low-light from legitimate obstruction?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
trigger a servo motor windshield wiper to clear off a solar panel when it is obstructed.
What is it that you're trying to clear? Snow, rain, dust, leaves, insects?

Do you think it is possible to use the Solar Panel as an LDR to detect light so that the mechanism is triggered when it is dark?
This would cause the wiper to run continuously during "dark" hours...

As stated, this isn't as simple of a problem as it seems. You need to define the problem more clearly before moving to solution space.

researchstudent

Joined Sep 27, 2017
I would like to clear large debris (i.e. leaves) and as this is just a prototype, I'm first just trying to make the mechanism run when the panel is obstructed, not taking time of day into account

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I would like to clear large debris (i.e. leaves) and as this is just a prototype
Windshield wipers don't always work as well as you'd like. I've had to remove large leaves that had gotten wet and the wiper blades couldn't dislodge them. Doesn't happen often, but it happens.

How large is the panel? I'd opt for some enclosure that would prevent the problem you're trying to address.