Dark Matter

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Could have sworn they said on discovery channel that the laws of Physics, gravity, motion and even "Time" break down when it comes to Black holes. Mass also is in proportion to gravity. Whatever is there, It's pretty big! I'm not saying the universe is not going around something....We all know it is.

Don't need to write an equation out to the last decimal to know that.

Now, how am I suppose to believe their/your math when they can't even get it right.
E=MC2 has held up. But there's always something wrong in the quantum realm.
Brzrkr
Hi,

Maybe this will sound better? When other stars like a Pulsar/Magnetar are formed they come from an imploding larger star.
joeyd999 already said they're not actually "Black' and we know it's not exactly a "Hole" either. We don't know if it goes to another universe or not (There's that multiverse thing). If it has all the gravity they say it does, Nothing should be spinning around it. It would just get sucked in like a vacuum cleaner.
With that said? The more appropriate name would be a "Gravitational" or "Gravity Star"
Brzrkr

It's called black because it can not be seen only the effects it has can be seen. That is, anything outside of it.
It's called a hole because it acts like a hole in the universe. It's a place where spacetime changes drastically.

But generally it's easy to say something is wrong but it is another thing to prove it. Also, some things are known and other things are not. They admit they dont know what happens at the singularity, if it exists.
So im not sure what the big deal is.

Could it be that a black hole is more like a shell then a singularity? There are a lot of guesses.
When something is crushed there are always forces that push back and what happens in the black hole is so extreme it's hard to figure out what really happens because we dont know anything else like that.
It's like high temperature and low temperature experiments, even ultra high magnetic field experiments, high energy particle experiments. The black hole is an experiment with ultra high gravity and so far it's the only example we have and we cant get to one yet to probe it so everything is going to be math alone for a long time to come. Maybe you could appreciate what we have now a little better because that's all we have right now.

BTW black holes were predicted to exist with math long before they were actually proved to be in existence.
Quantum entanglement is not understood yet, it just has been observed to 'happen'. That's the way things progress first we observe then we seek to explain.

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
@MrAl
Exactly my point. But you also can't see through it. If you could in the picture link I posted you'd see stars behind it.

Fair enough, I forgot about that one.
Brzrkr
Hi,

Not sure what your point is here. You cant see through it because light coming in from any angle gets trapped inside and means it wont come out the other side. It is not the same thing as invisible. So what is your point here?

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
@MrAl
The picture in the link shows a massive black spot in the center of some mass whirling around it (?)
MrAI said:
Not sure what your point is here. You cant see through it because light coming in from any angle gets trapped inside and means it wont come out the other side.
Any angle (?) So the poles have less material going around them (?) If it's at any angle then your saying it's like an atmosphere(?)
Wouldn't it look the same at the poles as it does in the center(?) All we would see is a big, great glowing blob....
Because light can't escape it (?)
Brzrkr

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
Still the answer to this raises more questions!
https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...mage-black-hole-eht-event-horizon-singularity
above source said:
The black hole is black because of a singularity, or a region where the fabric of space and time itself has collapsed in on itself, forming a single point with infinite density.
That single point has such strong gravity, that as light approaches it, there’s a region beyond which nothing can escape its grasp. That region, called the event horizon, is kind of like the top of a waterfall.
Now imagine a fish swimming toward the top of the waterfall. At a certain point, the water is rushing so fast that the fish can’t escape by swimming in the other direction.
In this metaphor, the beam of light is the fish — and it’s approaching the black hole. “When the matter and light get too close to the black hole, the black hole just swallows it up, it removes that light from the universe,” Mack says.
Then just point it at our center and take a picture? Isn't one there?
Why you got to go six gazillion light years to take a photo?
Brzrkr

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...mage-black-hole-eht-event-horizon-singularity

Brzrkr
Whoa! Maybe I’m about to embarrass myself, but... This one is intractable. He makes a point. He is proven that he is spouting nonsense. And then he comes back to repeat his earlier nonsense.

“Why not point it at the center and take a picture?” With what??? We’ve already explained there’s no light. And he keeps asking why we can’t take a picture. And there’s also the point made that no visible light can escape. Hence it’s BLACK!

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
@djsfantasi
djsfantasi said:
Then where did th“Why not point it at the center and take a picture?” With what??? We’ve already explained there’s no light. And he keeps asking why we can’t take a picture.
Then where did the other picture of the other black hole come from?
They pointed a "Radio telescope" at the center of that universe. Supposedly to take away all the light that's "NOT" emitting light?
But you can't point one at our center and take the same picture and there be one there?... I don't get it (?)
Isn't it closer? Shouldn't we be able to see something closer more vivid?
And if it's that far away then it happened a gazillion years ago.....That's not how it looks now.
What we're seeing may not be even possible now, according to the laws of Physics.
Brzrkr

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014

Brzrkr
Hi,

The known black holes are very far away. There is no camera that can take a photo that far away.

Any information that comes in, even years in the past, is better than no information. The "picture" is additional information.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018
@MrAl
Just thought I would beef my points up. I was under the impression that all galaxies had a black hole (?) Isn't that what they say makes us spin around our galaxy?
All I'm saying is somethings don't add up.
Dark Matter, Black holes doesn't matter.
Brzrkr

Last edited:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
@MrAl
Just thought I would beef my points up. I was under the impression that all galaxies had a black hole (?) Isn't that what they say makes us spin around our galaxy?
All I'm saying is somethings don't add up.
Dark Matter, Black holes doesn't matter.
Brzrkr
Hi,

Yes that's the way i understand it too the sun revolves around at least one black hole. There could be a lot more smaller ones in that area too though.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/physicists-brawl-over-new-dark-matter-claim
“I think that for most of the people in the community this is the end of the story,” says study author Benjamin Safdi, an astroparticle physicist at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. But Kevork Abazajian, a theoretical physicist at the University of California, Irvine, says the new analysis is badly flawed. “To be honest, this is one of the worst cases of cherry picking the data that I’ve seen,” he says. In unpublished work, another group looked at similar patches of sky and saw the very same sign of sterile neutrinos that eluded Safdi.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Just add some more variables, and more step function discontinuities and I'll eventually be able to explain, with a "single" function, all the moods of a teenager.

It appears or great our great physicists are using similar strategies for a "unified" theory.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Mystery solved: how the Universe makes galaxies without dark matter.
This might be the most counterintuitive conclusion you could imagine, as dark matter’s defining characteristics are:

• it’s everywhere,
  • it’s massive,
  • it’s more abundant, by a 5-to-1 ratio, than normal matter,
  • and it’s the primary driver of the formation of cosmic structures on all scales.
In every large-scale structure we see, including big spiral galaxies, giant ellipticals, groups of galaxies, rich clusters of galaxies, and even the grand cosmic web, dark matter dominates what’s out there, providing a phenomenal link between theory and observation.
https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/galaxies-without-dark-matter-167405/