Damn PDFs on AAC!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
It is extremely difficult for me to view PDF attachments, only on this site! Any other site, I can click on a PDF att. and it will open in a new window and I can read it.

I use an iPhone running IoS14 I use Safari to open AAC.

On AAC, if I click on a PDF att. I get a pop-up asking if I want to download the file. I always cancel, because if I download it, I have to locate another app and use it to find the folder with the PDF, click on the PDF which opens another browser tab to see the original PDF. Then I have to delete the PDF because they take up a lot of space in my phone.

By the time I have done all this, I forget why I’m looking at the PDF and it’s past my bedtime.

Again, this only happens on AAC. WT#???

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Don't know why it seems to be only AAC but it does the same on my iPhone and iPad too. Weird. Another case of improving something until it doesn't work maybe..

But it is easy enough to manage. When you click on the .pdf and confirm the download, you can view it by tapping the little download circle icon just to the right of Safari's address bar. It will show a list of downloads. Tap one and it will open in Safari. From there you can hit the upload icon (box with an arrow pointing out of it) and copy it to iBooks if you want. You can clear downloads by tapping the download circle again and hitting Clear.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Don't know why it seems to be only AAC but it does the same on my iPhone and iPad too. Weird. Another case of improving something until it doesn't work maybe..

But it is easy enough to manage. When you click on the .pdf and confirm the download, you can view it by tapping the little download circle icon just to the right of Safari's address bar. It will show a list of downloads. Tap one and it will open in Safari. From there you can hit the upload icon (box with an arrow pointing out of it) and copy it to iBooks if you want. You can clear downloads by tapping the download circle again and hitting Clear.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll see if I can remember it next time.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I've being doing this quite automatically in my laptop, desktop, tablet and phone (Android) for mayo be one or two years already: pdf opens to be read on the screen. Somewhere on the right, when hovering the mouse, a small arrow pointing downwards offers the option to download that pdf into my.....
Honestly it took me some time to understand it (and get used to).

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I've being doing this quite automatically in my laptop, desktop, tablet and phone (Android) for mayo be one or two years already: pdf opens to be read on the screen. Somewhere on the right, when hovering the mouse, a small arrow pointing downwards offers the option to download that pdf into my.....
Honestly it took me some time to understand it (and get used to).
Just to be clear, the pdf doesn’t open in IOS. The only option is to download it. It doesn’t appear to download in the same location. Or allows me to select a location. Only on AAC (so far)

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Just to be clear, the pdf doesn’t open in IOS. The only option is to download it. It doesn’t appear to download in the same location. Or allows me to select a location. Only on AAC (so far)
I see.
Could you post any .pdf in reply so I will test it just to be sure of what I posted. Never installed Safari myself.
Here there is this one, in case you want to test it somehow.

Attachments

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I must retract my previous post.

The (your) pdf opened and, prior clicking on the small arrow, I could fin it already copied in my "Downloads" folder.
Shame on me. Sorry.

for djsfant.gif

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Ok, I see it after following your instructions.

But it takes 5-6 clicks to see it. And it takes up space on my storage. To delete it, takes 10 clicks.

Damn inconvenient. I want to click on a pdf and see it displayed. Another click and it’s gone. No wasted storage. And a lot less time.

I suspect it’s a setting on Xenforum that interacts with iOS and Safari.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I too would consider it an improvement if the PDF's simply opened in a new window in my (Chrome) browser instead of forcing me to download them first and then open them after that.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
In my PC - Win 10 up to date - Chrome, pdf is opened and can be read; to actually download it, I need to click on the downwards pointing arrow as I said before.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
In my PC - Win 10 up to date - Chrome, pdf is opened and can be read; to actually download it, I need to click on the downwards pointing arrow as I said before.
Yeah, that’s what happens to me, too.

But my problem is with Safari under iOS 14. Takes many clicks to view and wastes storage on my smartphone. Then, it takes many more clicks to delete it.