Damn it! Our cities Tesla coils are delayed.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Wow! Not a huge pro sports fan, but would go just to see the Tesla Coils in action. Wonder how they'll effect cellphones and other electronics. Could be a bummer on pacemakers...

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Get within 20 feet (or whatever) they can outright kill cell phones, wrist watches, car dongles, and any other electronics that is within the EMF radius. Could be interesting.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Thats just the way we roll in the FLA! Realize our economy is based on geriatrics, drugs, agriculture, and tourism, we used to have a fishery but uhhhhh BP took care of that. So with all the corruption and politics over it, they were given 40 million for renovations. I'm sure someones kid outsourced the job to someone from out west or the far east to build and install it for $100,000, and then charged the city 5 million. I will try to find out how much the coils alone cost. May be I can write the paper and tell them were interested.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, decent size, but definitely not worth millions. Especially when they don't have them tuned properly!
(I finally had a chance to watch the vids)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Aww, how cute, they have little tesla coils.

(I'm from Long Island, we had the BIG ONE here)
I remember it being so much bigger. But I saw it when it was at the Buhl Planetarium. I think it used to be at least a story and a half high. It also was not as colorful. Just black or brown. I am wondering if they moth balled that one. If I remember correctly George Westinghouse built that one. Possibly even with Tesla himself since he funded some of Teslas work,

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I remember it being so much bigger. But I saw it when it was at the Buhl Planetarium. I think it used to be at least a story and a half high. It also was not as colorful. Just black or brown. I am wondering if they moth balled that one. If I remember correctly George Westinghouse built that one. Possibly even with Tesla himself since he funded some of Teslas work,
I remember it as being about 20 feet tall at the Buhl also. They said it wasn't allowed to be turned on because of the FCC. Disrupted TV reception.

Do they still have the Foucault pendulum at Buhl? haven't been there in about 20 years. Not since the days of the Pink Floyd laser shows on saturday nights in the planetarium. :D

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'm thinking the Tesla coil Ernie is talking about is the one at Wardenclyffe, am I correct?

It's really too bad Tesla lost his funding on that project. That would have turned hte world around, but for the better or for the worse is still unknown. It certainly would have changed the way our economy works, that's for sure. Free wireless electricity? Would have been great, but the power companies would have taken a real hit.

Something to mull over in your mind :D

Merry Christmas, people! :)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't think the power companies would have taken a hit. If something costs and you give if away for free, you will quickly go broke. This is basic economics.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I don't think the power companies would have taken a hit. If something costs and you give if away for free, you will quickly go broke. This is basic economics.
And that is exactly why the power companies would have gone down the drain. It's a lose-lose for them. Either they take over the free wireless electricity industry and they go broke, or other people give it away for free and it takes the business away from the power companies. Either way, the economy would certainly change, regardless of the method. The same goes for cars that run on water, or air. What if they ever come into existence? The gas and petrol companies will lose income, and will have to shut down. And how would this affect the economy? That's the problem with technology nowadays. We have a limit to what we can invent because if we cross the line, the economy will take a dip. IMHO the world should have been more careful about building its entire foundation on the fragile economy. One small hit and the entire thing could come crashing down....

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The people trying to give it away would quickly go bankrupt, which is my original point.

Nothing is free that is made by man. Without some profit, no matter how slight, any enterprise is doomed.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The people trying to give it away would quickly go bankrupt, which is my original point.

Nothing is free that is made by man. Without some profit, no matter how slight, any enterprise is doomed.
That was the genius of Tesla's design. If I'm not mistaken, once the wireless transmitters were set up, the idea was that it wouldn't cost anything to keep them running.

I admit though, I should do some more research before continuing the argument. Besides, I think I'm polluting the OP's thread. :p