Dallas Runge Meister in silicon

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1587578199740.pngThis isn't really a Runge Meister. I'm just trying not to infringe on any copy rights and still leave this searchable. The original is on the left, complete with germanium transistor (unobtainable) and misprint in the 47uf cap size. I read several articles about how this works ad this is my interpretation. The transistor I used is not important. Almost any p-type silicon will work. It's a frequency dependent amplifier for guitars. 29db difference from 80Hz to the second harmonic of the frequency at the 22nd fret of high E.

The following is an article written by an non electronics nerd describing this circuit.

An insight into the dark art of Treble Boosting a Red Special

By Nigel Knight • November 2018

First and foremost, this is a treble booster, and so should sit first in line after the guitar in the signal chain. There has been much debate over the years as to why the TB should sit first so, to explain why, let’s start with the guitar itself...

Any Red Special-influenced instrument, in most modes of ‘BM’ style operation, employs at least two single coil pickups in series, whereas most single coil-loaded guitars configure them in parallel. This has the benefit of increasing the output level of the guitar, which helps drive the AC30s (or equivalent) further into saturation. In addition to this, in a number of switching set-ups, the pick-ups' polarity provides ‘humbucking’ qualities, thus reducing hum and noise.

The theoretical downside is that it also increases the overall impedance of the guitar which renders it more susceptible to ‘tone sucking’ if plugged into a low impedance load. Now, most guitar amplifiers and effects stomp boxes are designed to offer the guitar a relatively high impedance load (at least 500Kohm for some stomp boxes and 1Meg ohm or more for amps). Alas, the humble treble booster has other ideas, as it sits far lower than that at less than 100Kohm.

Now, here’s why the treble booster must come first, straight after the guitar (and when we say straight after, we mean STRAIGHT AFTER, so if you are using a radio system, then the TB must sit between the guitar and the transmitter pack).

So, the guitar is high Z (impedance) and the TB medium Z. Under normal circumstances the treble booster would just suck the high frequency detail from the guitar and that’s just what it does when the guitar is at full volume. The volume pot is fully open, and the low Z load of the TB drags down the high frequency detail of the Red Special. This is what provides the creamy, warm, fully distorted tones we all love. However, when Brian backs off the guitar’s volume, the signal distorts less and cleans up to his renowned glassy tones. This happens because the guitar’s volume pot is wired to effectively provide the pick-ups with a constant high Z load, whilst driving the TB with a varying source impedance. So, when the guitar volume is backed off, the guitar’s pickups see a high Z load, but the TB ‘thinks’ it’s being driven (pushed) by a low Z source, and so the TB can’t suck the high frequencies any more and delivers the glassy cleans.

So, it is imperative that you make sure the guitar and the TB can ‘talk’ to each other and interact with each other, because that is where the magic happens.

There's another article as a PDF attachment.

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1) Oops. An extra line got left in the drawing. Typo! You can erase that line or put in a resistor (a few hundred K or a meg) to eliminate the, "pop" when you plug it into the signal chain.
2) Look at the polarity. It's a PNP transistor with a negative supply. (It's a safety in case of battery reversal by the user.)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Customer reports that the high frequency emphasis is far too strong and the only proper setting for the volume control is at maximum.
I am unhappy that it took him 2 years and 8 months to respond.
I intend to redesign the frequency response by increasing bass response (flattening the curve below 200 Hz).
I don't know whether I will change the slope of the gain increase in the higher frequencies or shelve it somewhere below 2KHz.
One problem is that I have far more fun working on the design than playing the guitar, but it seems I need to tune up my Les Paul and make some ear judgments