dahua dh-hcvr4104hs-s3 DVR not working at all

Thread Starter

kgaapphh

Joined Jan 14, 2025
1
Hello,
I have a dahua dh-hcvr4104hs-s3 DVR that worked great from 2017 until about 1 year ago. I have it set up in a location that is vacant so I don't know what happened.

About one year ago I got the message "NO HDD" when I viewed the camera feed. When I got there and checked the DVR, the power cable was melted pretty badly and the DVR DC jack connector was showing some burn marks as well. The DVR was still working except for the "NO HDD" message. I immediately switched it OFF.

I bought a new 12V power supply. I plugged the new power supply in the DVR and it started immediately and it worked without any problems. The DVR DC jack felt a bit loose probably because it melted a bit when that problem occurred. The HDD was working so the "NO HDD" disappeared.
Everything worked fine for about one year when I got the "NO HDD" message again. This time I bought a new HDD. I swapped it and I still got the "NO HDD" message. I checked the old HDD on a computer and it worked fine.

I decided to replace the DVR DC jack thinking that the loose connection has something to do with it. Still no luck. By pure chance I accidentally connected it to a different 12V power adapter and it worked. I thought that the problem was with the 12V power adapter. I found it a bit suspicious that the power adapter failed after one year.

I took the bad power adapter home and checked the voltage with a multimeter. It was showing 12V. Even though it had a 12V output the DVR refused to properly work with it. I got the "NO HDD" and random restarts.
I kept the new power adapter plugged into the DVR and everything worked for about one month. One day I could not connect to the DVR and I could not see the video feed. It was like the system was offline. I went there and the DVR was not working at all, no lights, no sounds, no fan, nothing. Completely dead. No signs of damage either.

I opened it up, inspected the circuit board and there are no visible damaged parts. Only one area was slightly brownish where an M4 diode and a 1117S12 voltage regulator are. I removed the diode and checked it with the diode setting of the multimeter.
I used this method:
https://www.fluke.com/en/learn/blog/digital-multimeters/how-to-test-diodes
I got a little over 0.5V and OL.

I re-soldered the diode and replaced the 1117S12. Still completely dead.

What else I have done: Checked electrolytic capacitors with a multimeter without removing them from the circuit board. All of them make the short beep sound and turn OL, except one that beeps and shows about 220 ohms with the multimeter COM port connected to the capacitor (-) and 280 ohms resistance with the COM port connected to the capacitor (+). That capacitor is next to the brownish area. It does not seem to be damaged. It's a 220uF 16V capacitor. I checked the DC jack connections and the voltage regulators connections for shorts and I could not find any.

I can't seem to find the circuit diagram anywhere. I can try and add photos if anyone thinks will help.

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Top