* "it can't be cut hahahaha"
- (annoyed face)
* "tempered glass cannot be cut"
- "this thing is done for, then ..."
* "Yup"​

Sorry for the bad news.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If you're truly desperate, I know for a fact that tempered glass can be cut using abrasive water jet.

But on such a thin piece of glass it's a risky maneuver ...

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
@Externet u can cut tempered glass by masking with paraffin wax and immersing item in enchant (like aqueous HF solution) until unmasked areas are dissolved (by which I mean removed by chemical reaction). I've done it a few times so I can definitely say it works well for to at least 1/2" thickness except that you'll never get perfect edges. Also plz be vry careful with HF cuz it's vry corrosive and acutely cardiotoxic!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The not being able to cut tempered glass is why the custom car guys don't chop tops on modern cars. Almost all of the modern cars have tempered glass in side windows and rear glass, so they can't be cut like the windshield, that is laminated safety glass.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Agustín : mejicano + argentino = :(
Not sure what you mean with that but I am not much into fueling differences between countries. Waste of time and an exercise in futility. I feel so comfortable with our superiority....:D:p:D:p

I've been to Méjico just twice, many many years ago, in Tampico and Veracruz to discharge general cargo. All what I know now is through the press and Youtube of course.(So much for the veracity of the data...)

Something that greatly surprised me is that a lot of expressions used there, are very similar to ours, what does not happen with the rest of the Spanish speaking countries along América.

BTW, besides member @cmartinez , very recently I run across this lady who is perfectly bilingual, and very beautiful, let me say.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Thanks, Aleph. Will consider your method.
Perhaps freezing the glass and immersing in hot oil to the level it needs the cut... Or wrapping with a gasoline soaked string at the cut line, light it... Long time I have not done it that way...
Will see if I can cut strips of this :
----> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ros...00f4-4d2a-a817-c42ad7e7c303&priceBeautifyAB=0

Agustín : mejicano + argentino = :(
Not hot on those methods. Tempered glass is like tempered anything. You may not be able to predict how it will break. When I did a lot of glassblowing, we would sometimes cut glass with ordinary scissors under water -- ordinary cast iron/steel library-type scissors, not modern Fiskers. The edge is not perfect, but it was smooth enough to fuse to another piece. You can also use a piece of steel screen to chip to shape in air. All of that work was done with non-tempered borosilicate glass (e.g., Pyrex and Kimex), which is probably the opposite of tempered soda-lime glass in terms of ease of working.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Not sure what you mean with that but I am not much into fueling differences between countries. Waste of time and an exercise in futility. I feel so comfortable with our superiority....:D:p:D:p

I've been to Méjico just twice, many many years ago, in Tampico and Veracruz to discharge general cargo. All what I know now is through the press and Youtube of course.(So much for the veracity of the data...)

Something that greatly surprised me is that a lot of expressions used there, are very similar to ours, what does not happen with the rest of the Spanish speaking countries along América.

BTW, besides member @cmartinez , very recently I run across this lady who is perfectly bilingual, and very beautiful, let me say.
Here's an interesting bit, Agustín:

[OFF TOPIC] "Chupar Faros", which is roughly translated as "To suck a Lighthouse", refers to a very old (and cheap, as in low-quality) brand of cigarettes. The brand is so old that it was around during the (very bloody and violent) Mexican Revolution. This idiom refers to a time when those who were captured by the enemy were given summary trials and executed immediately. And the tradition back then was that, prior to facing the firing squad, the prisoner was blindfolded and given a cigarette to smoke before he was shot to death. The cigarette's brand, of course, was Lighthouse.
The phrase is applied to someone who's facing a bad situation with an unavoidable outcome, when all hope has been lost. [/OFF TOPIC]

Back to topic now. It just occurred to me that in these last few years lasers have been in use to scourge glass prior to being fractured along the marked line and thus cut.... that is yet another possibility.

Last edited: