Curious about the rules and regulations of forum.

abdullah8391

Joined Sep 6, 2015
The time when i joined this forum, i got a mail (i think it was from admin), regarding rules and regulations.
and there two point made me curious that were forbidden to talk about:

• LEDs to main
  • Transformer-less power supplies.

why are these topics forbidden on this forum.

*just to let you know, i am beginner in this field, so i don't know much about circuits, that's why this topic me me curious.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Both of these types of circuits can be very dangerous because it often involves circuits that have portions that are perceived to be low voltage, and hence reasonably safe to poke around with using your meter or scope probes or even your fingers, but have a very real possibility to get high voltages into the low voltage parts of the circuit resulting in potentially lethal situations.

abdullah8391

Joined Sep 6, 2015
Both of these types of circuits can be very dangerous because it often involves circuits that have portions that are perceived to be low voltage, and hence reasonably safe to poke around with using your meter or scope probes or even your fingers, but have a very real possibility to get high voltages into the low voltage parts of the circuit resulting in potentially lethal situations.
so in other words a slight mistake in these circuits can cause a big incident, that's why these topics are not allowed to discuss, just for the safety of the people on this forum?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
At one point the forum owners were very concerned about the potential for being held legally liable for information posted here that might contribute to someone being injured. A few things have happened in the intervening years to largely make those concerns obsolete and there is currently discussion about whether (and how) such topics should be allowed now.

The fact is that we have an extremely diverse membership and it includes a lot of true newbies that have absolutely no training in electronics or awareness of electrical safety at all. Most people, even ones that are pretty naïve, will take pause before opening up and messing around with the wiring in a household appliance while it is plugged in -- they are at least generally aware that household wiring can kill. But most people tend to be a lot more cavalier when working with low voltage circuits and we work with those while they are powered all the time.

So the general feeling is that allowing discussions of circuits in which lethal voltages can easily get into presumably low-voltage circuits is away from goodness.