Crystal oscillators vs Quartz cyrstals

mathew086

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I have to reproduce an existing circuit. When I was looking for the components, some of them are obsolete and so I need to find an alternative. I am having a 15.36MHz Crystal Oscillator (TCO-21A 8) with 4 pins (Pin1 = N/C; Pin7 =GND; Pin8 = Output ;Pin14 = Vcc). Pin 7 is connected to GND, Pin 14 to +5V and Pin 8 is connected to the clock pin of Dual D Flip Flop 74HC74D.

I could not find a THT 15.36MHz Oscillator with 4 pins. Can anyone tell me whether I can use a two pin CRYSTAL 15.3600MHZ(like this https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/cts-frequency-controls/ATS15A/280193) Or is there an alternative for the old one? I would be also very happy if anyone can explain me the difference between both.
As far as I understood, Crystal oscillators are the one usually with 4 pins with Vcc, GND, OSc output and enable pin and Quartz cyrstals are the ones with 2 pins that are supposed to be connected to the OSC1 and OSC2.

What happens if I use a KX0-01-1 (16MHz) Crystal clock Oscillator in my case. Will a 16MHz instead of 15.36MHz make a big difference?

Thanks

Matt

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I could not find a THT 15.36MHz Oscillator with 4 pins. Can anyone tell me whether I can use a two pin CRYSTAL 15.3600MHZ(like this https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/cts-frequency-controls/ATS15A/280193)
No, you cannot.

I would be also very happy if anyone can explain me the difference between both.
A crystal is just that: a quartz crystal which resonates at a particular frequency. By itself, it can do nothing. A crystal oscillator contains a quartz crystal plus oscillator circuitry which will use the crystal as a resonator to set its frequency.

Will a 16MHz instead of 15.36MHz make a big difference?
The oscillator frequency will be higher, 16MHz instead of 15.36MHz. As to whether that matters in your application, only you can determine that.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
As far as I understood, Crystal oscillators are the one usually with 4 pins with Vcc, GND, OSc output and enable pin and Quartz cyrstals are the ones with 2 pins that are supposed to be connected to the OSC1 and OSC2.
QUOTE]

A quartz crystal is a thin slice of quartz, with a thin layer of metal evaporated onto each side which are connected to two pins. The whole thing is encapsulated in a metal can.
A crystal oscillator is an electronic oscillator circuit that ues a quartz crystal to regulate the frequency.

[QUOTE
What happens if I use a KX0-01-1 (16MHz) Crystal clock Oscillator in my case. Will a 16MHz instead of 15.36MHz make a big difference?
QUOTE]

What difference it will make will depend on what the function of the device that uses the crystal oscillator. If it is used for accurate time or delay purposes, the results will be inaccurate by 4%.

Regards,
Keith

mathew086

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you all for the inputs. I am going to buy a Surface Mount 15.36MHz and connect it using an adapter. or may be anoter work around.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
DIGIKEY should still have the programmable oscillator modules for sale, if they do not have the exact part available. It is more complicated to order and they cost about $7 each. But you get what you order in a very small package, so you will need to create an adapter board to mount it.