crystal oscillators (in as few parts as possible)

CPL593H

Joined Jan 20, 2019
hello AAC -
i came here out of a curiosity in building crystal oscillators.
i'm having trouble finding out how to start, though. there are many different things to read, but a lot of it is over my head. can anyone recommend a simple analog circuit for driving crystal oscillators?

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
can anyone recommend a simple analog circuit for driving crystal oscillators?
What do you mean with "driving....oscillators"?
Oscillators are circuits that produce a periodic signal (driven by a constant source of electrical energy).
In some oscillator circuits, the frequency determining circuitry contains a crystal (used as a high-Q inductance or as a kind of resonant circuit).
My recommendation: Do not start with a crystal oscillator; start with simple LC or RC oscillator types.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
All quartz crystals are not equally made.
First question would be what is the oscillator frequency?
You may need to know the cut of the crystal.
Is it series or parallel resonant?
Is it fundamental or 3rd harmonic, or something other than 3rd harmonic.

Next question?
When you ask for as few parts as possible, do you mean transistors or ICs?
What is the application? Is this a digital application or amateur radio RF? Many application ICs have the oscillator circuit included. All you need to add is the crystal and perhaps a resistor and two loading capacitors.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
hello AAC -
i came here out of a curiosity in building crystal oscillators.
i'm having trouble finding out how to start, though. there are many different things to read, but a lot of it is over my head. can anyone recommend a simple analog circuit for driving crystal oscillators?
Murata is worth a look - collection of circuits in back of paper catalogue and probably reference archive on their site.

most crystal manufacturers do something similar.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you use a crystal oscillator module all you need is power and ground (and the 0.1μF power supply filter capacitor).