credit/debit card ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Question 1)
I am wondering about what would happen if you ran a magnet or something magnetic over the magnetic strip that cards like debit or credit cards or other cards have.
I would think it would be like a harddrive in that you could magnetize/demagnetize the card....

Would it kill the encoding that a card reader/swiper would beable to pick up? (i.e make the card unusable )

Question 2)
Curious because I was wondering from the wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_stripe#Financial_cards

and in terms of making your own card that would work in a card reader/swiper.

What machine is used to create the magnetic strip on the cards.
Reading the article above the guy that invented the magnetic strip cards was frustrated and his wife found out how to get the magnetic tape to stick to the card by using her iron.

Question 3)
I have a barcode scanner and have printed / made my own barcodes in various formats (EAN-13 , UCA ,..etc) to fool around at my place with.... each of them can easily be created by a lazer or inkjet printer. But is their some magnetic ink or toner that you could use to create the magnetic tape for a credit/debit or other card that would beable to be read thru a card swiper.

Know the cards/swipers work differently then barcode scanners in that one uses magnetic strips and the latter only uses light reflected back at it. (i.e black absorbs all colors white reflects all colors principle)

So the latter is the easier to create.... curious about how the magnetic strip/card is made.
Does only banks poses the equipment to make them?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
You can but it doens't always work. I personally take sand paper to my mag strip on my license so when I get pulled over they have to type everything in. I believe this has saved me getting ticketed numerous times.

As for what type of reader/programmer it depends on how many tracks you need. ID's have like 2 tracks, CC's have like 3 tracks, etc.. etc.... Usually a good programmer should be able to read and write to various cards and various tracks. I would start studying CC tracks if I were you till you know what you doing,. Then take the plunge for a programmer.

The cards come already with the strip embedded in them. You can buy em by the 1000. You'll need a card printer unless you want blank white cards with mag strips.

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If the magnet stripe of the card is held close to a strong magnet, the information will be lost.
(I have had it some times in my job, working on a NMR magnet).

Nowerdays the card will be equiped with chips that are not that sensitive for the magnet fields.

I think that the magnet stripe will dissapear on the cards , as they can be easely skimmed.

Bertus

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The new ones are even easier. You don't even have to swipe em. You just hold the reciever within 6 inches of the car even in your back pocket in your wallet and it will pick it up. They are selling those card protectors now. Even though EU has embraced this technology I don't see the point untill they actually improve security. So while cloning cards, and such is much harder with the new chipped cards, they are much easier to steal the number for and use can easily use them online.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Question 1)
I am wondering about what would happen if you ran a magnet or something magnetic over the magnetic strip that cards like debit or credit cards or other cards have.
I would think it would be like a harddrive in that you could magnetize/demagnetize the card....

Would it kill the encoding that a card reader/swiper would beable to pick up? (i.e make the card unusable )

Question 2)
Curious because I was wondering from the wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_stripe#Financial_cards

and in terms of making your own card that would work in a card reader/swiper.

What machine is used to create the magnetic strip on the cards.
Reading the article above the guy that invented the magnetic strip cards was frustrated and his wife found out how to get the magnetic tape to stick to the card by using her iron.

Question 3)
I have a barcode scanner and have printed / made my own barcodes in various formats (EAN-13 , UCA ,..etc) to fool around at my place with.... each of them can easily be created by a lazer or inkjet printer. But is their some magnetic ink or toner that you could use to create the magnetic tape for a credit/debit or other card that would beable to be read thru a card swiper.

Know the cards/swipers work differently then barcode scanners in that one uses magnetic strips and the latter only uses light reflected back at it. (i.e black absorbs all colors white reflects all colors principle)

So the latter is the easier to create.... curious about how the magnetic strip/card is made.
Does only banks poses the equipment to make them?
This line of questioning doesn't fit in with your recent threads. I get the feeling I've been duped for time.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
The new ones are even easier. You don't even have to swipe em. You just hold the reciever within 6 inches of the car even in your back pocket in your wallet and it will pick it up. They are selling those card protectors now. Even though EU has embraced this technology I don't see the point untill they actually improve security. So while cloning cards, and such is much harder with the new chipped cards, they are much easier to steal the number for and use can easily use them online.
Well, I agree if the chips are using some wireless/bluetooth RF circuit to send the credit card numbers wireless. This would only be secure if they had really good encryption. Since sending plaintext could easily be seen by other people watching the air.

Really that is a good thing to know that you can always destroy the old credit/debit cards by running a magnet over them. So if somebody was going to steal your card you could always run a magnet over it that you have behind the counter before handing it over to the robber.

Question
You had mentioned you need a programmer to program a magnetic card.
Is this how subway or other non-bank business make their own cards.
This would be cool to know how to do it from a business point of view.
I have programmed the avr based chips but these programmers you are talking about must look completely different....

1) what makes the magnetic strips
2) where can you buy blank cards that you can use
3) how do you color them/put logos on them / words on them...etc

Also the magnetic card can it be made from a printer.... what do you need to do this stuff.

I found this but this just looks like an embroidering card machine duno if this creates the magnetic strip or just the logos/words on the card.
http://www.ded.co.uk/datasheet/catId-/prodId-360/

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
1) what makes the magnetic strips
Some chinese dude.
ebay, https://www.google.com/search?q=bla...GKGvsAL60ZneCw&ved=0CJQBEK0E&biw=1280&bih=935 and 1000 other places. Their easy to get and cheap as dirt.
3) how do you color them/put logos on them / words on them...etc
Get a card compattable wtih an inkjet and a printer that can print on thick stock and not bend it. Or buy a nice card printer like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fargo-Pro-L...MP_Printers&hash=item4ceba301f0#ht_3666wt_906
Also the magnetic card can it be made from a printer.... what do you need to do this stuff.
Yes some cards you can run through an inkjet but why not get a proper one for around $600. That prints the cards in 600dpi and lamenates them?

I found this but this just looks like an embroidering card machine duno if this creates the magnetic strip or just the logos/words on the card.
Ok the embossing machine was a joke. It would be the final component you would need to make the numbers and letters raised and imprinted on a CC or ID. Run your finger over your CC and notice the number are punched into the PVC. An embossing machine does that. People get cheap prepaid cards and punch their info they stole onto the card. That way the card says one name, the receipt and data on the card says another.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
ebay, https://www.google.com/search?q=blan...w=1280&bih=935 and 1000 other places. Their easy to get and cheap as dirt.
I have noticed in your link these cards are magnetic cards that are blank...
How does one give them all a different magnetic strip or how does one program /change the data on the magnetic strip. Is it possible or do they all come with different magnetic codes ...

Also is it possible to make your own smart cards (contactless , non-contactless , rfid ,...etc)
Like can you just buy the rfid/chips/components for the smart card and then card material for making your own.... or is that not possible
And you must have a company issue / make these for you.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I dunno about the latter but yes you buy a programmer just like PIC AVR chips. Then you buy the card you want to duplicate. Weather that be an ID, a CC, and ID badge, I'm putting in a bid for a local physical rehab place that wants ID cards. You can really get em any way you want em. Then just get your data you want on it and program it just like swiping your card at the grocery. Its kinda hard not knowing what your wanting to do. For instance at some 7-11's when you buy beer or cigarrettes the register asks for your ID. The clerk swipes it and it tells the computer your over 18 or 21 and proceeds to ring you up. Its big and good biz. For instance my gym key for my apt. is just a blank white card with a mag strip. They didn't even bother printing them. They just programmed blank cards and handed em out. You swipe the door and it unlocks. And by "They" I mean the half azzed tech company that sold our apt the door locks and key cards.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I dunno about the latter but yes you buy a programmer just like PIC AVR chips. Then you buy the card you want to duplicate. Weather that be an ID, a CC, and ID badge, I'm putting in a bid for a local physical rehab place that wants ID cards. You can really get em any way you want em. Then just get your data you want on it and program it just like swiping your card at the grocery. Its kinda hard not knowing what your wanting to do.
Ok,
But then my question is
1) where do you buy a programmer for these magnetic cards. (for example for these cards http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=blank+magnetic+id+card&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS327&prmd=imvns&biw=1280&bih=935&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1430436344645108740&output=nojs )
2) How universal is the programmer going to be will it work with any magnetic card to program it or just a few types. (if it is the latter then if you had a whole bunch of different magnetic cards to program you would need to buy alot of different programmers)
3) how much do these programmers cost? (average approx. cost on spending for a programmer to program magnetic cards)

My main purpose is just to understand how it all works not probably going to use it in my business... probably going to pay a company to do it for me instead but would like to understand how it is done ... and maybe do one myself.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Why?

If this were the security badge for a building I would see the need, but for anything else it is fundamentally illegal.

What possible reason would you need to know how to make a pseudo credit card, complete with embossing, magnetic strip, and text? This discussion has progressed beyond the hypothetical to the practical, which means it is facilitating a process who's only real use is for an illegal activity that I can see.

Why would you pay a business to do this for you?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
He didn't ask about embossing. We just said that as a joke as to where his questions were headed. Magnetic cards have 1000's of uses. If you wanna learn to duplicate CC's just goto youtube, or watch National Geographic channel. They show the guys actually doing it and going into best buy and buying ipads with em. Any type of private club, or client base could use them. As I said I'm biding on a rehab place to make all theirs so their patients can enter through teh back rehab door. You could give them out for a resturant as gift cards, or something like that bypassing VISA OR MC and just doing it yourself on your own system. I just can't figure out why he's wanting blank cards if he were to do a CC scheme? That makes no sense at all. The CC theives don't use blank cards.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Programmers are cheap around $40- a couple hundred. Like ARV/PIC programmers it will tell you what formats it programs or reads. We've really given you as much info as possible on this site without the mods declaring marshal law. I highly suggest you research NGC or youtube for further info. :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Why?

If this were the security badge for a building I would see the need, but for anything else it is fundamentally illegal.

What possible reason would you need to know how to make a pseudo credit card, complete with embossing, magnetic strip, and text? This discussion has progressed beyond the hypothetical to the practical, which means it is facilitating a process who's only real use is for an illegal activity that I can see.

Why would you pay a business to do this for you?
Because he's trying to figure out how to do it for his business and your saying he's trying to make CC's. You kinda contradict yourself in the same statement.

What use is it other then to do illegal things?
Why would you pay someone to make ID cards for you?

You kinda answer your own question. Obviously he's gonna need a lot more help then this to properly do security badges. But this is where his help ends here because some one might use the knowledge for bad purposes.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Waitaminute. I applaud Mathematics!' will to learn about magnetic cards and if he's trying to make his own for his club/business that's even cool!

Is copying these cards that easy? If that was the case, ATM cards would be useless. Aren't they encoded?