Creating and testing circuit diagrams.. advice?

skeer

Joined Oct 28, 2022
So I've been visually inspecting a board and drawing out a diagram free-hand. Which is ok, I guess... there might be better ways I don't know. What I'm wondering is, or looking for rather is advice on circuit applications where I can say build out a diagram, add in the components by things like resistance bands, IC numbers, MM readings. Then simulate that circuit to possibly uncover bad or faulty components in the real-world board.

Any advice for this sort of thing that won't break the bank?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For schematic & board layout drawing, there is free Kicad,
For simulation, there is either Spice simulator included or also free is, stand-alone LTspice

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The process described is often called "Reverse Engineering", and it is very useful on many occasions, including repairs, where the failed part is not obvious. (Note that the part that burns up will usually not be the only failed part).
Drawing the circuit bt hand is a very rapid way for the first step, because it is simple to correct.

skeer

Joined Oct 28, 2022
I have a hand drawn one now.. I think it's complete. I did grab LTSpice which is.. well it's rather disappointing. But it's free so I'm trying to learn it. Seems odd that components I'd call 'default' like potentiometers, AC and DC Motors are missing. I did find a big zip of new symbols that I'm trying to add but encountering trouble.
Outside the scope of this post though.

Thanks guys

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I have a hand drawn one now.. I think it's complete. I did grab LTSpice which is.. well it's rather disappointing. But it's free so I'm trying to learn it. Seems odd that components I'd call 'default' like potentiometers, AC and DC Motors are missing. I did find a big zip of new symbols that I'm trying to add but encountering trouble.
Outside the scope of this post though.

Thanks guys
If you post a sketch of your circuit, maybe someone will create an LTspice schematic for you.