Create Delay In Circuit

Infersome

Joined May 15, 2018
Hi,
I know absolutely nothing about circuits and I need some help.
I'm planning on make a closed circuit that has LED's (maybe 20 of them if that has anything to do with it) along the wire the whole way around the circuit. But I don't want the LED's to light up all at once, I want them to have a delay in between each of them, making a wave-like pattern. I know it involves capacitors and resistors, but I don't know how to do it. I assume this is a really simple thing so I'm hoping to get some help with it.
Thanks in advance

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi,
I know absolutely nothing about circuits and I need some help.
I'm planning on make a closed circuit that has LED's (maybe 20 of them if that has anything to do with it) along the wire the whole way around the circuit. But I don't want the LED's to light up all at once, I want them to have a delay in between each of them, making a wave-like pattern. I know it involves capacitors and resistors, but I don't know how to do it. I assume this is a really simple thing so I'm hoping to get some help with it.
Thanks in advance
Not so simple as you might think. Consider that you want some LEDs to be on while others are off. That means that your wiring has to be such that some can draw current while others aren't.

How much room do you have to put a small circuit between each LED along your wire?

Do you just want the wave to be as they turn on? Or do you want the wave effect as they turn off, as well?

What kind of delay are you talking about from one LED turning on to the next turning on?

What kind of LEDs? What's the forward voltage and the current rating?

What kind of power source are you planning to use?

How long is the total circuit length?