Crap back to work tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Jan 1, 2018.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    The fantasy ends. No phone calls. no work emails, no fire drills for a whole week. It was blissful. Now my stomach id getting tied in knots knowing I rill need to face all of that crap.

The good news is it may not last long. :confused: A major initiative is coming to an end and I suspect there is going to be layoffs starting in the spring. Cheap Indian labor makes up for nearly half of our tech labor force now. It would not surprise me if we are near 100% Indian contractors withing the next 5 years.

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    It is a strange feeling to look forward losing your job but I understand. I also look forward to being laid off. My layoff ( actually the company is closing doors- I have it from a reliable source) is coming either this week or after the 1st quarter; 90% chance it's after the 1st quarter. I can't wait!

I have not been happy in my job for a long time now. I tried to leave 2 years ago and was paid handsomely to stay. Sold my soul and I'm looking forward to getting it back. It's not worth the money but I've become addicted to the money, and a layoff is exactly what I needed to get me out of this funk and back into a career that fulfills me.

I've started my own LLC and I'm currently working as a subcontractor through my new LLC on the side. I'm hoping that I get enough side work to force me to quit before I get laid off. It really NEEDs to happen that way, because if I get laid off tomorrow, I'll be making enough on the side to preclude me getting unemployment, but not enough to feed my family.

cmartinez and xox like this.
  3. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    Aaah! The joys of being retired :cool:

cmartinez, JohnInTX and OBW0549 like this.
  4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I hope I can retire some day. From the looks of things, most of my generation will have to work until death. I'm contributing heavily to my 401k because it's the only retirement i can be reasonably sure will be there for me. No pensions for ny generation. We are forced to pay into social security and medicaid that we know won't be there for us when we need it.

5. OBW0549

Distinguished Member

Mar 2, 2015
    • No more meetings
    • No more schedules
    • No more deadlines
    • No more progress reports
    • No more budgets
    • No more ISO900x
    • No more diversity seminars
    • No more idiot bosses
    The list could go on and on.

Life is good now. No more corporate BS. I love retirement!

atferrari and cmartinez like this.
  6. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

I don't know what would be worse. Being laid off or being one of the few remaining people that are forced to work with the Indian contractors. I would probably quit after a week or be fired for not conforming to our "diversity" policies.

To give you an idea of how bad the mind control thing is at work, they have an Indian thanksgiving celebration every year. I refuse to go. My heritage is Polish, Hungarian, Italian and Romanian. In over 20 years of working there, I don't remember once where we celebrated anything from any of those cultures nor any other culture for that matter. But now we have an Indian Thanksgiving for some reason.

7. Aleph(0)

Mar 14, 2015
    Spinniker so ur saying descendants of N. American aborigines come at lower wage than other ppl:confused:;):D? Sry cuz I just can't resist play on words:oops::cool:

Spinniker being serious I totally feel your pain cuz that's basically what I'm facing tomorrow too:(! It's like lyrics from old tune that go _Silken web falls, mist illusion rips away! Helpless! Helpless! Now they scream_ so anyhow I know return 2 business as usual makes me feel like that:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  8. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

Oh I should add that I don't work for an Indian company. It is a old bank about as American as it gets. Until of late of course.

My second job I worked for an Indian owner. We may have had on other Indian working there. The owner was as American as apple pie and very cool.

9. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Asian Indians.

Aleph(0) likes this.
  10. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    Yeah and how competent is all that cheap Indian labor?

I had a severe problem with Microsoft's "customer support" (more like kick the customer's can down the road) which I determined was outsourced to an Indian run company based in Canada. I know it was an Indian operation because of the large number of Indian surnames of the people who ran the place. Their "fix" was worse than the original problem (several cases of Windows crashing and a blue screen) and I had to restore my computer myself which took over 72 hours.

Do a search for "Partnership For A New American Economy" (www.Fwd.Us) and you'll see exactly who's pushing for more immigration under the guise of making the country more competitive. Trump says he's in favor of providing more job opportunities for U.S. native workers and less H1-B visas, but he's also catering to the big money interests and anything he says isn't worth the breath with which he speaks.

11. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    We had them to write some sharepoint sites. I had to redo 75% of what they turned over to me. Horrible work. No out of the box thinking, no attention to detail.

12. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Are you sure it was Indians in Canada? Or was it Indians in India, with VOIP routed through Canada? Working in a local call center is "decent money" (relative) for workers in their native countries who speak decent English. I know first-hand it's a big deal in the Philippines. I'm not sure what motive they would have to leave their their mother country and their families (very family-centric culture) and move to Canada to work in a call center at or below poverty level when they could stay in India and stretch that money a little further.

13. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    The address of the company (supposedly a brick & mortar office) was in Ontario, Canada.

However that might have been just a false front for a call center in India. I've never been to India, but it's a Third World place with serious water and sewage problems. If you can't drink water from the faucet, I don't want to go there.

14. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    It is hard for me to imagine spending five days every week anticipating the other two.

strantor likes this.
  15. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    I retired from my job at our city's transit agency back in 2014.

However, I still ride the buses and trains and I notice all the malfunctions that I could be fixing. When I started working for the agency back in 1980, I was able to get the reliability of the electric trolley buses up to 2000 miles between road calls. Ironically back in November of 2017, a door simply fell off a train while it was running at 50 MPH through a subway tunnel and someone could have fallen out on the tracks. If I was still working, a potentially fatal incident like that would have never occurred.

16. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    It was hard for me to imagine as well, before I got myself into it.

17. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

I don't know anything about Canada but over 1/4 of the floor in my office is filled with Indian contractors right now, not to mention the multitudes that we have offshore. Where the names and numbers are kept a secret.

18. jgessling

Jul 31, 2009
    The last two jobs I had before retiring both had departments completely taken over by Indians. Their work was very low quality. But what really bothered me is how the Indian managers only hire Indian workers. What happened to diversity and equal opportunity? I guess that doesn't apply. Glad to be out and retired, although my new customer base can be quite demanding. Wife's PC is dying and I better get the data off and a new one operational or there'll be hell to pay (and no tar hot).

19. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    The group that supports our servers is 90% Indian now. The manager of that group is Indain so go figure.

20. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    :eek: What? ... you mean you're being forced to go through highschool all over again??? :p

:rolleyes: ... showoff.... rub it in, would ya?

Sadly, the only retirement I can look forward to, is tonight... when I have to retire to bed so I can start work early in the morning...

killivolt, strantor and OBW0549 like this.