Craftsman nicad battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woody022

Joined Feb 9, 2019
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to post to the forum. I have a Craftsman 1425301 battery charger that is no longer charging batteries for my cordless drill. I took it upon myself to troubleshoot the unit to repair it. I tested the output voltage across the positive and negative pins with my digital multimeter. When I tested across the pins with the meter set on DC voltage I got a reading of 108.6 volts DC. So out of curiousity I set the meter to read AC voltage across the same pins and got a reading of 46.8 volts AC. Rather odd I would say. I am kind of a newbie at troubleshooting electronic circuits. Can someone reply with some insight as to the reason for the unusual readings? Thank you in advance for any assistance offered. I am attaching a photo of the circuit board for the charger.

Mod: copied your image across.E

102_4534 copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gramps

Joined Dec 8, 2014
It appears that there has been some overheating in the lower right of the PCB. That's where I'd start looking. What, if anything is on the under side of the board?

woody022

Joined Feb 9, 2019

It appears that there has been some overheating in the lower right of the PCB. That's where I'd start looking. What, if anything is on the under side of the board?
I will post a photo of the underside of the PCB as soon as I can thank you.

Atong1957

Joined Mar 5, 2021
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to post to the forum. I have a Craftsman 1425301 battery charger that is no longer charging batteries for my cordless drill. I took it upon myself to troubleshoot the unit to repair it. I tested the output voltage across the positive and negative pins with my digital multimeter. When I tested across the pins with the meter set on DC voltage I got a reading of 108.6 volts DC. So out of curiousity I set the meter to read AC voltage across the same pins and got a reading of 46.8 volts AC. Rather odd I would say. I am kind of a newbie at troubleshooting electronic circuits. Can someone reply with some insight as to the reason for the unusual readings? Thank you in advance for any assistance offered. I am attaching a photo of the circuit board for the charger.

Mod: copied your image across.E

View attachment 169845
Hi would it be possible if i can get the part# and specs for the light blue component that is in the pcb photo. Unfortunately mine blew to pieces and cant get the part number and specs for it...accidently plugged it in 220 volt by mistake and blew that component up! Tnx

Status
Not open for further replies.