Coupled Inductors

Adanovinivici

Joined Sep 5, 2014
Hello All,

I'm trying to figure out how you know how to decide the dot convention on a set of coupled inductors. Does it depend on how they are wrapped around the cross-sectional area? If a dotted region is at one end, how do you know what the corresponding dotted region is on the other coil (top or bottom)?

Thank You

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hello All,

I'm trying to figure out how you know how to decide the dot convention on a set of coupled inductors. Does it depend on how they are wrapped around the cross-sectional area? If a dotted region is at one end, how do you know what the corresponding dotted region is on the other coil (top or bottom)?

Thank You
Excellent question. The dots indicate voltages that are in phase. The tricky part is that with certain types of transformers, such as transmission line transformers, the leads coming out of the same physical end of the device will be of opposite polarity. So, when in doubt, always measure!
Eric

Adanovinivici

Joined Sep 5, 2014
Excellent question. The dots indicate voltages that are in phase. The tricky part is that with certain types of transformers, such as transmission line transformers, the leads coming out of the same physical end of the device will be of opposite polarity. So, when in doubt, always measure!
Eric
Thank you for the response. I also have another question: Assuming a rectangular cross sectional area and the dot on each side both reside on the positive node of the voltage source with current moving through the positive node, the flux caused by the magnetic field seems like it should induce a current in the opposite direction so why is the induced term Mdi/dt, positive? The change in direction of magnetic field should be resisted? I know this applies to AC current, but my question is why the convention is still positive?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you have two windings (assume a 1:1 ratio) wound in the same direction on a core (with a secondary load connected), then the two leads coming out of the same end will have the same polarity. That means current will go into the plus primary winding with an applied positive voltage which then generates a positive voltage at the secondary plus output, causing a current out of the secondary. Thus the current into the plus primary input is matched by the current out of the plus secondary terminal meaning the flux from the primary current is countered (cancelled)by the flux from the secondary current.