Core 2 Duo Vs Dual Core ???

vivekanantha7

Joined Dec 1, 2008
HI Friends,
Do anyone know the difference of Core 2 Duo and Dual Core? In some article, i read like both are same and Those names represents some Parent and Family names of the Chip designed. Still im in confusion. Please Clarify my doubt...

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
HI Friends,
Do anyone know the difference of Core 2 Duo and Dual Core? In some article, i read like both are same and Those names represents some Parent and Family names of the Chip designed. Still im in confusion. Please Clarify my doubt...
Core 2 Duo is a brand name for a dual core processor from Intel. Dual Core is an processor architectural type, i.e. a processor with a dual-core arch.

In summary:

- Core 2 Duo is Dual Core.

- Dual Core is not necessarily Core 2 Duo.

Dave

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Dual Core is an architectural type as well as a processor name from Intel. It is also known as Pentium D. Both the above processors are 2 different processors and belong to the same dual core family too. So dual core is a processor as well as a family. The only difference between these two is the internal architecture, stepping type and process thread handling methods. pentium D came first followed by Core 2 duo. pentium D had a cheaper alternative at that time, the celeron D. Both were dual cores. Its previous launch was the P4 H.T... It doesn't have a dual core but two virtual cores. it processes like a dual core. I am writing from one now which runs at 3.3GHz... I feel its as fast as a Core 2 Duo and at 3.3, its cool.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dual Core is an architectural type as well as a processor name from Intel. It is also known as Pentium D. Both the above processors are 2 different processors and belong to the same dual core family too. So dual core is a processor as well as a family. The only difference between these two is the internal architecture, stepping type and process thread handling methods. pentium D came first followed by Core 2 duo. pentium D had a cheaper alternative at that time, the celeron D. Both were dual cores. Its previous launch was the P4 H.T... It doesn't have a dual core but two virtual cores. it processes like a dual core. I am writing from one now which runs at 3.3GHz... I feel its as fast as a Core 2 Duo and at 3.3, its cool.
Ah yes, Allendale and Wolfdale were branded as Pentium Dual Core (not Dual Core on its own, presumably to remove ambiguity). They are low-power compliments to the Pentium D brand IIRC.

Dave

gregdevid

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Hi,
The L2 cache is the same. The Core 2 Duo is the next step up from the Dual Core that Intel released. They are basically the same technology but the Core 2 Duo does run at faster speeds. The prices of Core 2 Duo are almost always going to be more expensive but if you are looking into buying something new right now, i would recommend buying the Core 2 Duo to prepare for the future.

anandcrks

Joined May 30, 2009
hi boys
1]dual core is: 2 core-chips are there and
2]core2 dual is: 2 core-chips are there ,
both are same but
speed is different
because depend upon "L2 catch" and 'Fbs" those are speeds

zimbarak

Joined Feb 8, 2009
In many ways Core 2 is the same as Core: The chips are built using the same production process and fit in the same sockets as Core Duo chips. Putting aside Core 2 Extreme (a fancy version of the Core 2 Duo), you won't see many spec changes: Both chips have the same frontside bus speed of 667MHz, but Core 2 Duo is now available at somewhat faster clock speeds (as I write this, 2.67GHz chips are available). The frontside bus communicates between the CPU and RAM (and other components), and it's a notorious performance bottleneck for computers. The Core 2 also has the same L2 cache that the Core has. However, there are architecture changes to the silicon that give the Core 2 more sophisticated processing abilities. Both chips exist in desktop and laptop versions.