Copy signals with 555 timer

Simranjit

Joined Apr 16, 2024
Hi, I want to copy the signal generated by esp32 with 555 timer. Signal frequency is 60hz. The reason for this is because I have tested Tesla coil with 555 timer before and they work beautifully. I have enclosed the esp32 in metal case but emf from Tesla coil still messes with it through wires going out of case. So I want to use 555 timer as a middle man of sorts. Is there a circuit to do so ?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi, I want to copy the signal generated by esp32 with 555 timer. Signal frequency is 60hz. The reason for this is because I have tested Tesla coil with 555 timer before and they work beautifully. I have enclosed the esp32 in metal case but emf from Tesla coil still messes with it through wires going out of case. So I want to use 555 timer as a middle man of sorts. Is there a circuit to do so ?
I have not given the matter of signal "copying" much thought, it might be possible depending on what the signal from the esp32 looks like and how it is generated. The Tesla coil will probably still affect the esp32 regardless of whether you use a 555 or not. It is just the way things are. Alternatively, you might want to try one or more forms of isolation to see if that improves things.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You could use the 555 as a buffer, but I'm not sure that will help the EMF problem as that's likely radiated or going through the ground connection.

If you input a signal to pins 2 and 6 (Threshold and Trigger) the output will go high when the signal goes above 2/3 Vcc and go low when the signal goes below 1/3 Vcc (Vcc is its supply voltage).

A high-speed opto isolator with separate power supply and ground for the esp32 and the Tesla circuit may work better.
What is the frequency of the esp32 signal?

Simranjit

Joined Apr 16, 2024
I have not given the matter of signal "copying" much thought, it might be possible depending on what the signal from the esp32 looks like and how it is generated. The Tesla coil will probably still affect the esp32 regardless of whether you use a 555 or not. It is just the way things are. Alternatively, you might want to try one or more forms of isolation to see if that improves things.
Yea, i think I could use 555 as a inverting buffer for output (from esp32) and for input (for esp32) I could use 555 timer as a Schmitt trigger. I noticed that if touch the metal casing of esp32 it also messes with esp32 signal. I might try 3d printing a case for it cover it in aluminum foil and connect the foil to mains ground.

Simranjit

Joined Apr 16, 2024
You could use the 555 as a buffer, but I'm not sure that will help the EMF problem as that's likely radiated or going through the ground connection.

If you input a signal to pins 2 and 6 (Threshold and Trigger) the output will go high when the signal goes above 2/3 Vcc and go low when the signal goes below 1/3 Vcc (Vcc is its supply voltage).

A high-speed opto isolator with separate power supply and ground for the esp32 and the Tesla circuit may work better.
What is the frequency of the esp32 signal?
I'm feeding esp32 a signal from isolated ZCD circuit 120Hz. Esp32 is really sensitive even touching wires messes with signals a bit. Even when Tesla coil is off. The reason I'm using esp32 is because it gives very granular control over Tesla coil. I will also try to shorten wires as much as possible.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
My approach would be to try using a shielded cable. Braided and foiled shield grounded at both ends (source and destination). Grounding to earth shouldn't be necessary; just a common shielded arrangement where all wires conducting signals into and out of your TC should work. I think.