Controlling 230 V pump using arduino

Jeyasuriya

Joined Feb 3, 2016
hello all..I am using an aquarium pump (230V) to pump water to a height of one and half meter..i want to control this pump using my arduino..kindly help me with interfacing both..Thanks in advance

TheButtonThief

Joined Feb 26, 2011
What exactly are you hoping control? Do you simply want to turn the pump on and off automatically or do you want to control it's speed too? If you're going for automation, are their inputs to be concerned about? Sensors, limits, push buttons...? How big is the motor in the pump, how much current does it draw? Is their any long cable runs we should know about? Is the solution required to be submersible? Are you looking for a modular solution or are you ok with discrete components?

We need more info before we can help.
Cheers

Jeyasuriya

Joined Feb 3, 2016
What exactly are you hoping control? Do you simply want to turn the pump on and off automatically or do you want to control it's speed too? If you're going for automation, are their inputs to be concerned about? Sensors, limits, push buttons...? How big is the motor in the pump, how much current does it draw? Is their any long cable runs we should know about? Is the solution required to be submersible? Are you looking for a modular solution or are you ok with discrete components?

We need more info before we can help.
Cheers
i just want to on and off my pump automatically..the solution needn't be submersible...i am not sure of the motor size in the pump...it draws a power of 45W operating in 230V 50 Hz supply...I am okay with discrete componets...Thanks in advance

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
i just want to on and off my pump automatically..the solution needn't be submersible...i am not sure of the motor size in the pump...it draws a power of 45W operating in 230V 50 Hz supply...I am okay with discrete componets...Thanks in advance
Then as stated by dodgydave you just need a relay..
This is the typical setup for an arduino driving a relay..
http://playground.arduino.cc/uploads/Learning/relays.pdf

There are thousands of examples on the internet.. Just google "arduino relay" and have fun..