Control water to scare away a cat

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Tony: Can I power a 24VAC solenoid for a sprinkler control valve from 12VDC?

I have a cat problem and want to scare off cats. Not hurt them, just spray them with water. I'll need to build a "One-Shot" timer to give roughly a half second spray of water at a cat who triggers the system. Not sure if I'll go with IR beam or PIR sensor.

The solenoid measures 32Ω at rest. Does that change when energized? And what of using DC instead of AC? The coil is rated for 24 volts AC.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Consider opening your own thread on this subject.

Sprinkler control valves operate by keeping pressure on both sides of the diaphragm. To open the valve, a small pin valve opens up allowing pressure to drop on one side and the high pressure pushes a spring valve open, and the water flows.

IF your 24VAC solenoid will operate on 12VDC, I can't say for sure. You can test it with a 12 volt battery with sufficient power to deliver the needed current. When it comes to coils and AC, I'm weak. I can't answer how well your valve will work on DC (if it works). But taking the 32Ω measurement and with a little calculation, 12V ÷ 32Ω = 375mA of current. Small enough that a Gell cell 12V battery should have sufficient power. 375mA X 12V = 4.5W of power. With 24VAC current would be 750mA and 18W. If your valve works with 12VDC I don't think there'll be a problem.

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Tested my coil with a battery. It works. And I plan only on spraying for just a short second or two. Most of the time the coil will be off, except for when a cat is detected, then it sprays water on the cat.

Been looking at one-shots. Just need to figure out the sensor. Floor switch, PIR or IR beam.