control systems and its applications

MKY

Joined Feb 18, 2015
can anyone please suggest me what are the possible topics regarding control systems and its applications for a paper presentation or idea presentation?(or)what are the trending technologies going on in this area???

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would predict one of the fastest growing applications is going to be in Automobile Electronics with such as collision detection/protection, more automatic operations etc.
Max.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Will the human operator remain in the loop?
See classic papers about pilots remaining in the loop.
What is the appropriate transfer function for the human operator?

Lectraplayer

Joined Jan 2, 2015
As an electrician, I'm all the time working on devices ranging from manual lumber saws to full blown automotive assembly lines. Typically anything more complex than push-and-chop is computerised. The lumber yard, thougd has a computer on this saw so they can make lumber on order, either pieces ordered at the counter, or from a CAD drawing.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I spent most of yesterday at the Cleveland, Ohio VA Hospital, took a friend in for surgery. They have these robots about the size of a kitchen cooking range the pickup and deliver everything from prescription medications to linens throughout the hospital. What got me was how they can call for and board elevators. Also, per Max I like what is going on in the automotive industry as well as CNC machining operations.

Ron

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
I work on everything from hand drills to cnc machines. we have numericly controlled box machines that make cardboard boxex to order. we have 64 foot 12 axis milling machines, the main thing I have seen in the actual control systems lately is that most manufacturers are going to pc based controls instead of building their own. and increased useage of pic's in smaller things that used to be completely manual.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I work on everything from hand drills to cnc machines. we have numericly controlled box machines that make cardboard boxex to order. we have 64 foot 12 axis milling machines, the main thing I have seen in the actual control systems lately is that most manufacturers are going to pc based controls instead of building their own. and increased useage of pic's in smaller things that used to be completely manual.
Similar to the Career I took, and was a Mitsubishi CNC 3rd party retrofitter/ integrator for some years, PC based controls have been around a lot longer than the present hobby based MachIII etc, I have used PC based motion (Galil/Acroloop) control cards for about 30yrs.
They are very versatile and slick to work with.
http://www.galil.com/motion-controllers.
The new technology in CNC is the CNC printer.
Max.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
Similar to the Career I took, and was a Mitsubishi CNC 3rd party retrofitter/ integrator for some years, PC based controls have been around a lot longer than the present hobby based MachIII etc, I have used PC based motion (Galil/Acroloop) control cards for about 30yrs.
They are very versatile and slick to work with.
http://www.galil.com/motion-controllers.
The new technology in CNC is the CNC printer.
Max.
I started at boeing about 30 years ago, and back then, a lot of cnc was based on digital equipment corp pdp 8 and pdp11. some TI9900, and mostly older stuff. the allen bradey controls were propriatary mostly ttl till the 8200AT came out, it had the allen bradley control with a pc/xt also and a strange system for deciding which to send to the display. we dont 3d print airplane parts, dont know if the faa would agree to that without a thousand years or so of testing.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I'm partially employed as an elevator consultant and many will be surprised that elevators are actually a single axis robot or "I" Bot.

The cable winding machine is actually a huge direct drive servo motor ranging from 1500 to 65,000 Ft.-Lb torque. Many of them are permanent magnet synchronous motors and the rotor of a large machine can contains about 3000 Lbs. of rare earth magnets.

Lectraplayer

Joined Jan 2, 2015
We primarily use Cutler Hammer, GE, Square D, or Allen Bradley. Cutler Hammer and Allen Bradley does more in the way of fully electronic variable speed controls, whereas Square D does well at magnetic controls.

Btw: don't let too much oil get on an Allen Bradley motor starter. It makes one heck of a bang.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
a lot of cnc was based on digital equipment corp pdp 8 and pdp11. the allen bradey controls were propriatary mostly ttl till the 8200AT came out,.
I came across a couple of AB CNC, they never did that well in the CNC market, and did not appear to have that much of a support system in the company.
Max.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
but they sure did buy up other companies, the a600 was the latest hunter bandit control, others come from osi in italy and others. their plc's were also homemade, I havnt seen any newer than the p;lc5-250 yet. that was a neat one, a pdp-11 did the c programed side, and a plc 5 on the other side of a dual port memory.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
a pdp-11 did the c programed side, and a plc 5 on the other side of a dual port memory.
The PDP11 CNC I was first exposed to was created by a professor at Univ of Min I believe, this did it all, PLC I/O and servo output, I wire wrapped a board for it to create a RS232 interface to replace the old teletype paper tape reader for pgm load.:(
Max.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
a lot of our stuff used paper 9later mylar 8 hole tape. then a bunch of interfaces were made up that connected the machines to boeing computer sevices where the tapes were stored. a real mess, considering that the machines used TI, GE, and a lot of other processors. the interface pretended to be a tape reader. the controls all still had tape readers to boot up after a power off, some took 7 seperate tapes to load.