Control a knob on a Honeywell fan via ESP8266

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
Hey all I am wondering what all I would need in order to control this knob on my Honeywell 2-in 1 Air Circulator Fan, HT-9700

I am wanting to use a ESP8266 in order to control it via wifi. I know how to do it on that side but I am unsure what's available for the other side (the knob) in order to "turn" the knob or hook into the knob wires.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hey all I am wondering what all I would need in order to control this knob on my Honeywell 2-in 1 Air Circulator Fan, HT-9700

I am wanting to use a ESP8266 in order to control it via wifi. I know how to do it on that side but I am unsure what's available for the other side (the knob) in order to "turn" the knob or hook into the knob wires.
Well, if you had engineering instincts, you would pull the knob off, unscrew the shaft, remove the screws on the back and reverse engineer the schematic (sketch it and either post it or figure it out yourself). If you post it, we can help but, with just a picture of a black fan, I can't help you.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
A "knob" is intended and designed to be controlled by a human hand. It is possibly the original HMI.

As far as that ESP thing goes, have you checked out Sparkfun?

Last edited by a moderator:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
You would just use a digital output on the ESP to control a relay (with transistor driver,etc..) to simulate the contact closures of the switch..

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I don't know the schematic of your switch though..
A relay is just an electrically controllable switch..
Energize the coil and the contacts switch/connect..

You need to figure out what wire is being connected to what wire in each state of the switch (use multimeter/continuity with the fan turned off/unplugged)

Then simply use the contact side of the relay (or multiple relays as needed) to perform those connections..

A very generic schematic of how to use a relay from a digital pin is here.. U1 is your ESP8266 (p1 would be a digital pin)
5V assumes using a relay with a 5VDC coil
The "external circuit" part is where your switch wires would attach to as needed...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It pretty much looks like it is a Triac control of two shaded pole motors, if so there is details on replacing the knob circuit with a MOC3023 etc in the Fairchild app note AN-3006.
Max.

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
I don't know the schematic of your switch though..
A relay is just an electrically controllable switch..
Energize the coil and the contacts switch/connect..

You need to figure out what wire is being connected to what wire in each state of the switch (use multimeter/continuity with the fan turned off/unplugged)

Then simply use the contact side of the relay (or multiple relays as needed) to perform those connections..

A very generic schematic of how to use a relay from a digital pin is here.. U1 is your ESP8266 (p1 would be a digital pin)
5V assumes using a relay with a 5VDC coil
The "external circuit" part is where your switch wires would attach to as needed...
If you didnt know this has fan speed as well. So its OFF | FAST | SLOW for the dial.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
If you didnt know this has fan speed as well. So its OFF | FAST | SLOW for the dial.
Well.... meter it out and post a schematic if you need further help..
We cannot be certain of its wiring based on the pictures provided.. You are going to need to do some additional work here by providing a schematic.

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
so use the red probe on the multimeter to the black wire going into the switch and the black probe on the brown wire and see if it has anything when:

switch is off
switch is on fast
switch is on slow

after finding which wire the fast uses then test the red wire and see if it has anything when:

switch is off
switch is on fast
switch is on close

is that what i need to do in order to provide the needed info?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
yes.. basically.. Set your meter to "beep" when both leads are touched together (or just resistance)..
You would need to know (for example)
When switch is in Off.. There is no continuity between any of the wires
When switch is in fast.. There is continuity between red and black
when switch is in slow.. There is continuity between red and brown..

Something like that.. And then you would simply setup your relays to accomplish that switching..

StealthRT

Joined Mar 20, 2009
OK So here it is:

BROWN wire = Low fan speed
RED wire = HIGH fan speed
BLACK wire = HOT

With the black prob on BLACK and the red prob on RED with the fan ON/HIGH I get: 09.9
With the black prob on BLACK and the red prob on BROWN with the fan ON/LOW I get: 00.0
With the black prob on BLACK and the red prob on RED with the fan OFF/OFF I get: 124.4
With the black prob on BLACK and the red prob on BROWN with the fan OFF/OFF I get: 124.4

Note I am using the AC mode on my multi meter that looks like this:

Bob James

Joined Feb 22, 2017
I would imagine the esp8266 has enough output pins to drive 4 different states or one of its pins could be used to output a pwm current which can drive a servo or a multi turn rotory switch on the fan circuit. There are examples on the esp8266 forum for this
http://www.esp8266.com/index.php?sid=8879a014f5892d67c2727d0a3c006afe

Well.... meter it out and post a schematic if you need further help..
We cannot be certain of its wiring based on the pictures provided.. You are going to need to do some additional work here by providing a schematic.
Bit of a forum sitter/troll are we ?
Lets send all the posts back for lack of information . All you really need is given.

Last edited by a moderator: