Consistency in Locking Threads?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
This is getting ridiculous. Closed threads and deleted posts with no explanation, turning a blind eye to trolls and letting them roam free to trash the forums, pushing away respectable members who have been here for a long time in favor of letting one or two complete idiots take over, crappy articles and software changes, inconsistent moderating techniques.
My own participation here has fallen off drastically over the last few months, for those same reasons. I'm not sure how much longer I'll continue.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
That sounds like something a mechanical design engineer would never think of or design into a product. I suppose some of them know about this, but if I ever saw it in the real world, I didn't know what I was looking at. Is this common practice? Is it just one of those things one picks up over the years, and most people don't know?
Wrong thread, @#12 ?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I just had a different read on that last post on the closed thread.

It certainly within the realm of possibility that it could have turned political in an atto second.

There were many times I've posted that were within a heartbeat of being political.

As much as I might disagree with some, I disagree with pre-emptive activities more.

I have no problem expressing an opine that opposes another member, including moderators.

I used WBahn"s insistence on tracking units because I knew his ability to take it in the manner intended. Laughing that type of comment off validates the truthfulness of that mission.

Some of the moderators/members that I used to trust have become blind fools enabling and encouraging laziness and illiteracy among some (one in particular) other members
In all fairness, so long as the alleged troll{s} are not disruptive -- what's the problem??? -- Please note this a sincere, respectful question -- not a rejoinder...

Best regards
HP

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Some of the moderators/members that I used to trust have become blind fools enabling and encouraging laziness and illiteracy among some (one in particular) other members.
I think you are younger than I am because I have a much longer time constant than you. Things change, but that doesn't signal the beginning of the ultimate failure, the death spiral of AAC. This is a passing irritant. I will be here after it's gone. My Ignore list might be the best tool I have here. I recommend it until the Mods develop ways to deal with Facebook types posting on a science Forum.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
This is getting ridiculous. Closed threads and deleted posts with no explanation, turning a blind eye to trolls and letting them roam free to trash the forums, pushing away respectable members who have been here for a long time in favor of letting one or two complete idiots take over, crappy articles and software changes, inconsistent moderating techniques. This entire site has just gone down the toilet. Sure, forums change, but that doesn't mean they have to go in the s****er. I am sick of what AAC has been turned into. It used to be a great educational site but now I find myself not wanting to have anything to do with it. Some of the moderators/members that I used to trust have become blind fools enabling and encouraging laziness and illiteracy among some (one in particular) other members. This has gotten way out of hand and some of them seem too stupid to realize it.

I realize you're probably going to delete this post anyway (with no comment, go figure), but in my defense I have not mentioned any names. You already know who you are.
You are being disingenuous. You received last night a lengthy PM from the entire staff over my signature laying out our position on this and other issues, including RK. You were given explanations and for our actions and specific examples of your own posts that got deleted and were told in detail the reason why that happened. You were reminded of the mission of AAC and provided a link to a post reiterating that position that you liked - apparently in agreement with what was said. You were also briefed on our efforts to handle the RK problem, how we arrived at our determination of what he is about and specific efforts on the part of the staff in an attempt to move him to a place that would be better for everyone involved. You were also asked to stay out of threads where other members were still trying to help him and refrain from dismissing their efforts in drive-by posts that added nothing to the process save to cause rancor and presumably to shore up your crusade to have RK banned. You were also told that several of the staff agree with you on that point but were compelled to exhaust other approaches before that happened. All of this was done in a constructive tone that recognized your stature and contributions to AAC with a request to share your thoughts and any constructive criticism in private. We tried to enlist your help and cooperation in resolving this and other issues in an effort to preserve/restore the boards.

Since you decided to post your thoughts in public rather than reply in private, I thought in fairness that the other members might at least like to know of our efforts on your behalf.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
You were also briefed on our efforts to handle the RK problem, how we arrived at our determination of what he is about and specific efforts on the part of the staff in an attempt to move him to a place that would be better for everyone involved.
Hmmm......

(Had more to say but I will just leave it at that for now.) ;)

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
This is getting ridiculous. Closed threads and deleted posts with no explanation, turning a blind eye to trolls and letting them roam free to trash the forums, pushing away respectable members who have been here for a long time in favor of letting one or two complete idiots take over, crappy articles and software changes, inconsistent moderating techniques. This entire site has just gone down the toilet. Sure, forums change, but that doesn't mean they have to go in the s****er. I am sick of what AAC has been turned into. It used to be a great educational site but now I find myself not wanting to have anything to do with it. Some of the moderators/members that I used to trust have become blind fools enabling and encouraging laziness and illiteracy among some (one in particular) other members. This has gotten way out of hand and some of them seem too stupid to realize it.

I realize you're probably going to delete this post anyway (with no comment, go figure), but in my defense I have not mentioned any names. You already know who you are.
If you want to pick on moderators, try fixing up ETO where you are one. When they start following their TOS, come back.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
In all fairness, so long as the alleged troll{s} are not disruptive -- what's the problem??? -- Please note this a sincere, respectful question -- not a rejoinder...

Best regards
HP
I beg to differ. He is VERY disruptive, not only to others' threads but even in his own. He constantly switches subjects, posts non-sequitors, and clutters the forums with his poor quality threads.

If you want to pick on moderators, try fixing up ETO where you are one. When they start following their TOS, come back.
Moderators at ETO follow the TOS pretty closely, but the difference is that we actually think and care about all of the members, and what's best for the forum. That's more than I can say for some of the mods here. You can't always just follow the book, especially when it means throwing away common sense.

I beg to differ. He is VERY disruptive, not only to others' threads
I was not aware that he was troublesome on others threads -- if that's indeed the case, I stand corrected!

but even in his own. He constantly switches subjects, posts non-sequitors, and clutters the forums with his poor quality threads.
But for all that -- others may readily avoid his threads?:confused:

Moderators at ETO follow the TOS pretty closely, but the difference is that we actually think and care about all of the members, and what's best for the forum. That's more than I can say for some of the mods here. You can't always just follow the book, especially when it means throwing away common sense.
Respectfully - without wishing to appear antagonistic - Isn't that a double standard? When the ETO Mods vary from 'the book' you rationalize it as 'caring about the members' -- all the while condemning same here as 'abandonment of common sense'? Am I missing something?:confused:

Sincerely, best regards
HP

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The way I understand what you are saying is that you like ETO better and That ETO fills all of your needs.

And, at the same time, you are coming back to AAC to say this place should be more like ETO.

This is completely counter to competitive theories - each organization should have a niche. Users will tend to use the tool that best meets their needs/likes/intuition/ignorance.

So, my questions are: why are you so passionate about trying to convince Coke to change their recipe so it tastes like Pepsi instead of just enjoying a Pepsi?

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
As someone who frequents both sites, often back to back, I feel that ETO has done a lot to clean up their website and moderator actions in the last year since the rewrite of their TOS.

Granted they are not perfect and never will be nor will they have the same feel as this site but then that's what having competition is for. To offer something that the others doe not have or to supply a similar function in a different way.

A while back I would have gave the ETO mod staff and D- for their actions but they cleaned it up and now I give them a fair B+ rating.
AAC in the same time frame for me went from a solid A rating to what I see now as being a near equal B+ as well.

That's my views.:p

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was not aware that he was troublesome on others threads -- if that's indeed the case, I stand corrected!
True. Just yesterday I asked the Mods to clean his hijacking behavior out of a noobs Thread because he had the Thread it so distracted and convoluted that the noob had all but surrendered hope for a clear and correct solution to her problem.

And just when you thought it was safe...............I am back :D, I couldnt find my old email address and password so got a brand new shiny name.

As for RK, he makes things and sells them. As much as he drives me nuts there is also a fair bit I admire about him, it took me ages to use the ignore button, but once I got used to it I found all my troubles went away!!

No offense D but you wont be happy nor will you stop until your a mod here, I left ETO for a long time and recently came back. its more peaceful there now than it was, and I suspect alot of back patting has gone on amongst the mods for doing a great job. The truth is those that caused the most fiction have migrated here!

I no longer get wound up easily and try not to whinge too much, I use the ignore button freely and have found that little button makes for a much more enjoyable experience.
Banning someone like RK serves little purpose and trying to get some knowledge into him might just save a life! [Slightly offensive remark removed by moderator. -please be nice.]

All the best to everyone.

Oh and what happened to the colour! I got a real shock when I came back and found you now glow in the dark lol

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
And just when you thought it was safe...............I am back :D, I couldnt find my old email address and password so got a brand new shiny name.

As for RK, he makes things and sells them. As much as he drives me nuts there is also a fair bit I admire about him, it took me ages to use the ignore button, but once I got used to it I found all my troubles went away!!

No offense D but you wont be happy nor will you stop until your a mod here, I left ETO for a long time and recently came back. its more peaceful there now than it was, and I suspect alot of back patting has gone on amongst the mods for doing a great job. The truth is those that caused the most fiction have migrated here!

I no longer get wound up easily and try not to whinge too much, I use the ignore button freely and have found that little button makes for a much more enjoyable experience.
Banning someone like RK serves little purpose and trying to get some knowledge into him might just save a life! The other reason I like him is simply because while he is around I am not the dumbest person here :D

All the best to everyone.

Oh and wtf happened to the colour! I got a real shock when I came back and found you now glow in the dark lol
Here is a link to a button that will cure your orange headache.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/new-design-what-happened.112027/