connectors testing system according IEC standards

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
Following an entire career of that stuff, six years after retirement, my head still hurts. Really, it is the stuff nightmares are made of. :)

Ron
"IEC 61238 connectors testing system is a equipment allows to test the connectors with accuracy according to IEC 61238 standard giving a solution to all the technical issues of the past. During the short circuit test the equipment delivers up to 26 kA increasing the temperature of the connectors between 250 ºC and 270 ºC."

can you help me to understand the meaning of bold line

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
"IEC 61238 connectors testing system is a equipment allows to test the connectors with accuracy according to IEC 61238 standard giving a solution to all the technical issues of the past. During the short circuit test the equipment delivers up to 26 kA increasing the temperature of the connectors between 250 ºC and 270 ºC."
Testing system heats connectors to temperature 250...270 ºC, by current through connectors.
Different types of connectors require different currents for such heating,
so testing system can provide current up to 26,000 A.
In process of test, system measures current, voltage, temperature of connector in time.
These measurements are result of test.

1575407042084.png
==========================
"•Short-circuit tests (for Class A connectors only).
Six short-circuits are applied after the 200th heat cycle.
The short-circuit current level shall be such that it raises the bare reference conductors from a temperature
of ≤ 35℃ to a temperature between 250℃ and 270℃
The maximum temperature, time and approximate current, or the actual current and time, used for the short-circuit
test, shall be recorded and stated in the test report. After each short-circuit, the test loop shall be cooled to a
temperature ≤ 35℃.
"
See IEC 61238-1 Compression and Mechanical Connectors for Power Cables

Last edited:

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
No, never. Only designed some of testing systems.
For example, you can see in open access:
Surface mount testing system
Thanks Danko,
"A first value indicative of a temperature of the heating trace may be determined based on a measured electrical resistance of the heating trace. A difference between the first value and a second value indicative of a desired temperature of the heating trace may be determined. A particular current and a particular voltage may be applied to the heating trace based on the determined difference between the first value and the second value "

so I need to figure out the relationship between current voltage and temperature in the context of system

What were the basic part's of your system ? What may be the current and voltage sources in the system (30 kV)?

Last edited:

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
Thanks Danko,
"A first value indicative of a temperature of the heating trace may be determined based on a measured electrical resistance of the heating trace. A difference between the first value and a second value indicative of a desired temperature of the heating trace may be determined. A particular current and a particular voltage may be applied to the heating trace based on the determined difference between the first value and the second value "
so I need to figure out the relationship between current voltage and temperature in the context of system
What were the basic part's of your system ? What may be the current and voltage sources in the system (30 kV)?
Relationship between current, voltage and temperature is very simple: more voltage -> more current -> higher temperature.
Basic parts of system are thermocontroller, heating element and cooler (if needed).
SM PCB in system is tested by thermocycling and does not affect by any voltages and currents.

Last edited:

Fanfire174

Joined Mar 13, 2018
Relationship between current, voltage and temperature is very simple: more voltage -> more current -> higher temperature.
Basic parts of system are thermocontroller, heating element and cooler (if needed).
SM PCB in system is tested by thermocycling and does not affect by any voltages and currents.
What is the cooling and heating in context of power cable

Assume I have connected power cable across the supply. When current through the cable is increases. Temperature of cable will increase. I think it’s the heating process and if current doesn’t flow through power cable I thinks its cooling process

So we can measure temperature of power cable by heating and cooling process