connectors for a MeanWell power supply

aag

Joined Aug 11, 2018
I need to use this MeanWell power supply for a project. I should mount it onto a 3D-printed plate. However, I don't know how to connect it. I was thinking of incorporating small pipes in the plate (which I can design in any way, with no restrictions), but the pins have a small dent that makes that impossible. Do you know which kind of adapter would fit?
1603027698426.png

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I need to use this MeanWell power supply for a project. I should mount it onto a 3D-printed plate. However, I don't know how to connect it. I was thinking of incorporating small pipes in the plate (which I can design in any way, with no restrictions), but the pins have a small dent that makes that impossible. Do you know which kind of adapter would fit?
Just a note,
this does not look like the normal meanwell supplies, it looks like its designed to have a case around it, which its been taken out of.
Be careful of exposed live connections and getting rid of the heat.

aag

Joined Aug 11, 2018
Yes sure. That would be the crudest option though. I was wondering whether anybody is aware of a fitting connector though. It would seem like some kind of bayonet joint.

bobcroft

Joined Aug 22, 2011
You could keep the stand offs and solder wires to them and then to your PCB. A good solid connection is more important than aesthetics.

Phil-S

Joined Dec 4, 2015
Looks a bit odd for standoffs.
The data sheet shows the pins as the AC in and V+/V- out.
This is an OEM item for manufacturers to install in their own equipment.
They stress the need for free air convection cooling.
The datasheet also has a link to an installation sheet.
You could indeed try to remove them and fit cables, but in my experience, you run a high probability of damaging the board.
There doesn't appear to be anything like a fuse on it, so if I were you, I would add something, especially dealing with AC mains.
There are plenty of connectors available, just make sure you get ones that are rated appropriately and have the correct distancing.
The module isn't earthed, so you might have to consider that. Look up Class 1 and Class 0 protection

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
I would suggest mounting the supply to a proto board, running the connections to the proto board, then mount the board into a recessed space on the printed plate.

A dab or three of hot glue between the board and plate, and you're good to go.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Note that convection cooling will be far better if the board is mounted vertically vs horizontally. If you are enclosing your project in a case (you should, otherwise you may be exposed to dangerous voltage/power levels) make certain to allow generously sized case vents for cooling.