Connecting Multiple Wireless Speakers

Jblack

Joined Feb 24, 2016
Hi everyone, I had an idea a while ago and have been unable to figure out how to put it into action. My idea is basically to create a wireless ambient music system. I have a few guidelines for the project, requirements if you will, though they are of course flexible.
1. Cheap. This is not really an option as I don't have much money at all (I'm a college kid, so way beyond broke).
2. I'd like it to be able to live stream music, from YouTube, Pandora, Spotify, etc. I would also love it if it could play audio files from an SD card or flash drive or something.
3. It should have several, probably two or four, wirelessly connected satellite speakers. Since it will be an ambient music system, I want to be able to place these speakers throughout the room for surround sound.
It should have a single 'home base' module which acts as the controller as well as a central speaker.
4. I want it to be able to run continuously, not the music, obviously that has to turn off sometimes to sleep and stuff, but I don't want to have to boot it up or something in order to use it, I want to be able to just push a button on a remote or on the 'home' consol and it just starts playing music.

It'd be cool if it could be controlled with an IR remote like a TV remote, or maybe through bluetooth with a smartphone, or over WiFi. Also I think it would be convenient if it had some sort of display, like an LCD or OLED.
I don't really have much of a preference as to the platform, it could be something like Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Intel Edison, whatever. I only have experience with the Arduino, but I feel like this project may be asking a bit much of an Arduino, although maybe the Due could 'due' it...Sorry too good to pass up. Anyways, absolutely any suggestions are welcome, whether regarding the system itself or just any cool features you may think of.
Thanks as always
~Josh Blackburn