Connecting LEDs to a motorcycle (Braking and turning light)

Ragnarok

Joined May 7, 2017
Hi

To improve my visibility on the road I was thinking about connecting LEDs to my motorcycle (rear brake light and turn lights)
I have a degree in EE, but didn't practice it a lot of years (worked mainly in programming) so please be patient with me

The final goal I strive for is about the same as shown here:

to have 2 LED strips in each side of the jacket (to each turn light), and another 1 strip in the middle for the braking light (will be ON only when the braking light will be ON - or will be 50% brightness always and when braking will rise to 100%, what should be better?)

I bought a couple of LED strips (5050 SMD LEDs) like the ones here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-20M-RGB-5...ip-Flexible-IR-Remote-12V-power-/272359259204
They work on 12V DC

The motorcycle is a Suzuki GW250, and I've got the technical book of it, which include all of the schematics needed..
Attaching the wire diagram from the book, highlighted the relevant areas

That's the first "big" project i'm starting alone in this field, so would appreciate any help, where should I start, what should I look for and how should I build the schematic for my own wiring?

Thanks.
wire-dia.JPG

Ragnarok

Joined May 7, 2017
I just saw there's a "Automotive Electronics" forum, I think this thread is more suitable there... is there anyway to move it there?

Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi

To improve my visibility on the road I was thinking about connecting LEDs to my motorcycle (rear brake light and turn lights)
I have a degree in EE, but didn't practice it a lot of years (worked mainly in programming) so please be patient with me

The final goal I strive for is about the same as shown here:

to have 2 LED strips in each side of the jacket (to each turn light), and another 1 strip in the middle for the braking light (will be ON only when the braking light will be ON - or will be 50% brightness always and when braking will rise to 100%, what should be better?)

I bought a couple of LED strips (5050 SMD LEDs) like the ones here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-20M-RGB-5...ip-Flexible-IR-Remote-12V-power-/272359259204
They work on 12V DC

The motorcycle is a Suzuki GW250, and I've got the technical book of it, which include all of the schematics needed..
Attaching the wire diagram from the book, highlighted the relevant areas

That's the first "big" project i'm starting alone in this field, so would appreciate any help, where should I start, what should I look for and how should I build the schematic for my own wiring?

Thanks.
View attachment 126192
You can get automotive LED replacement bulbs, but they probably comply with wattage ratings legislation (from a brightness point of view) so probably won't be much/any brighter - but you won't have to check so often that they haven't blown.

Each chain of LEDs requires its own current controlled supply, and there's a limit to how many forward volt drops you can stack within the available voltage. You have to make allowance for the lowest voltage the battery can drop to or all the LED lights will just blink out!

Indicator relays usually have a required minimum load - if one of the bulbs blows; it stays on without blinking to warn you. Enough LEDs to draw that much current? A sink resistor? - I'd go for adding the LED bar alongside the existing. A lot of car relays will also handle a trailer, so adding LEDs is probably OK.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I'll tell you what I suggest and that is a turn key off the shelf LED Light Kit. A Google of either "Motorcycle LED Lights" or "motorcycle light kits" will bring up literally dozens of assorted LED solutions for motorcycles. I just dragged a bike I snagged at a good price last winter out of storage. The bike is a sweet classic 1992 Harley Electro-Glide with the full touring package and 5,000 original miles. Unfortunately in '92 all the lights included added lights were old incandescent lamps which need considerable power. On a bike you want really high visibility especially brake and turn signals. My neighbor has put a few light kits on his bike and his visibility is really great. Rather than trying to roll your own there are dozens of great turn key solutions for a wide range of bikes. Lights are high on my list this spring.

Ron

Ragnarok

Joined May 7, 2017
I'll tell you what I suggest and that is a turn key off the shelf LED Light Kit. A Google of either "Motorcycle LED Lights" or "motorcycle light kits" will bring up literally dozens of assorted LED solutions for motorcycles. I just dragged a bike I snagged at a good price last winter out of storage. The bike is a sweet classic 1992 Harley Electro-Glide with the full touring package and 5,000 original miles. Unfortunately in '92 all the lights included added lights were old incandescent lamps which need considerable power. On a bike you want really high visibility especially brake and turn signals. My neighbor has put a few light kits on his bike and his visibility is really great. Rather than trying to roll your own there are dozens of great turn key solutions for a wide range of bikes. Lights are high on my list this spring.

Ron
The issue is that in my country it's illegal to add any lights to any vehicle - including motorcycles, so added any light (LEDs or others) to the motorcycle itself is a no-go - and the motorcycle is of 2015, so the original lights are LEDs already..
on the other hand, the biker is not considered as a part of the vehicle here, so it's possible to add as many lights as you want on your body (or jacket)

Thanks why I'm aiming to pursue this idea..

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The issue is that in my country it's illegal to add any lights to any vehicle - including motorcycles, so added any light (LEDs or others) to the motorcycle itself is a no-go - and the motorcycle is of 2015, so the original lights are LEDs already..
on the other hand, the biker is not considered as a part of the vehicle here, so it's possible to add as many lights as you want on your body (or jacket)

Thanks why I'm aiming to pursue this idea..
Thanks for sharing that.I never would have guessed or known. Enter illuminated clothing which is really a very good idea since this way you call more attention to yourself making yourself more visible to other motorist.

Ride Safe
Ron

Ragnarok

Joined May 7, 2017
Thanks for sharing that.I never would have guessed or known. Enter illuminated clothing which is really a very good idea since this way you call more attention to yourself making yourself more visible to other motorist.

Ride Safe
Ron
Hi,
I tried to search for a forum called "illuminated clothing" on AAC but didn't found anything..
could you please point me to the right direction?

Thanks.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My comment regarding "Illuminated Clothing" was simply to say it was a good idea. I have seen some LED clothing as used in plays and theater production. Looks like you would have to design your own which could have some good possibilities. Especially for marketing in countries like yours. Heated motorcycle clothing is very common so I would think there is a place for illuminated motorcycle wear.

I am thinking you will be designing your own. Sewing LED strips into fabric and making it washable should be a challenge.

Ron

Ragnarok

Joined May 7, 2017
Just want to make sure

The LED strips I've got are listed as 12V DC, and have 2 wires (red/black)
my motorcycle battery is 12V

I shouldn't have any issue connecting the 2 terminals directly to the battery, right? (red to +, black to ground)
without any resistors, transformers, 555 etc...

Basically I just want to connect them to be ON (active) all the time - that should do the trick..
After that i'll want to connect them to be ON (active) only when the motorcycle engine is running (connecting them after the ignition switch)

Please correct me with i'm wrong

Ragnarok

Joined May 7, 2017
The LED strips I've got are these:

That's a 5050 SMD LED strip, with a 151 SMD (150ohm) and 331 SMD (330ohm) resistors...

when I said "connecting the terminals to the battery directly" I meant the terminals of the strips (LEDS and resistors), and not only the LEDs..
Just wanted to make myself clear.

Attachments

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
They should work. Keep in mind a typical 12 volt system is actually about 12.6 volts and a normal system maintains the battery, engine running is around 13.6 volts or slightly greater. This should not be a problem with a 12 volt LED strip but worth keeping in mind.

Ron

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
They should work. Keep in mind a typical 12 volt system is actually about 12.6 volts and a normal system maintains the battery, engine running is around 13.6 volts or slightly greater. This should not be a problem with a 12 volt LED strip but worth keeping in mind.

Ron
The acceptable range is from between 10.8 - 11.5V being the low point where the battery will probably be ruined, and a maximum of 14.4V.

For any kind of safety margin - assume that 15V could happen.