Connecting device with Micro USB to computer USB port

iVafa

Joined Jun 21, 2019
Problem was a connecting a GPS dongle with Micro USB type B plug to a my laptop.
My resolution was a USB type AB female connector wired to male USB A plug.
Result was disaster! A damaged USB camera and unknown condition for the GPS dongle. The dongle has a LED light that did not emit on my laptop.
I want to know what I did wrong. After soldering wires from USB A to the AB connector, I checked for and shortage between 1,2,3,4,5 pin's and only 4(unshield) and 5(not used) had 1 shows 1 ohm resistance(chines multi-meter!).
  1. Brown
  2. White
  3. Green
  4. GND
  5. Not used

ND-105X GPS Dongle Pin Description

PIN - Number - Name - Type
1 - Vin - Main power supply to the GPS Dongle.
2,3 - USB IF - USB IF to transmits channel for outputting navigation and measurement data to user’s navigation software or user written software.
4 - ID - ND-105X is slave device, ID connect to Ground
5 - GND - P - Ground

One more thing: On Linux terminal, only once after system boot it show this log :
usb usb3-port2: connect-debounce failed

iVafa

Joined Jun 21, 2019
these connections look mighty susceptible to shorting.
View attachment 180235
As I said I checked the resistance between all pin's and there wasn't shortage.
This is a picture from slightly different angles.

Also I measured the voltage and polarity on pin 1 and 4 when the USB is plugged to laptop. Pin 1 has +5v.
Should I solder shield to pin 5?
Does it matter?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
As I said I checked the resistance between all pin's and there wasn't shortage.
This is a picture from slightly different angles.

Also I measured the voltage and polarity on pin 1 and 4 when the USB is plugged to laptop. Pin 1 has +5v.
Should I solder shield to pin 5?
Does it matter?
You may need to flex the cable while measuring. If the short is intermittent, it will only appear when the cable is moved

If you have an extra jack, make a test fixture which brings the pins out on a small piece of perfboard. That way, you can patch your meter probes to it while your hands are free to flex the cable.

That pic sure looks like here is a short there.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Factory-made adapters are so cheap and easy to get, that I'm surprised anyone would consider making their own. Not to mention the opportunities to get something wrong and damage your equipment! There are some things one should just stay away from.

iVafa

Joined Jun 21, 2019
Thank you guys for your attention to the images but as I mentioned in original post, there is no shortages. That's have been checked in different ways several times.
The reason that I post here is, I wasn't sure if I wired each pin to appropriate pin in the other side.
Confusion more about what to do with shield wire, 5th pin and ground on type B.
Those manufactured converter cost are more than of the price of the GPS that I got (if don't want to wait for overseas shipping) Also after test I have to take the USB off of the board and solder in to the tablet boards from inside.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
The joints are not good and should be at worst cleaned up a bit or re-flowed. Its possible it did not show a short when testing but still was close enough that it bridged when in use.

Even from your second picture these look to close(see below). I know sometimes the camera plays some tricks with this but still it looks close enough for metal whiskers to cause some issue's. Disconnect everything. Use some wick and remove all the old solder. Then once its all clean, place a little flux and lightly tin each smd pad on the connectors. Cut your wires to get new ends about 3/4 the length of the smd pds. Twist them tightly and add some flux to there tips. Place wire tips on the correct pad according to pin out, do not add more solder just heat this wire tip into the tinned smd pad. It will be easier, cleaner and you will likely get a better joint then what you have now. Hopefully it will make it easier with diagnosing the other issue's you have.
kapow2.jpg

iVafa

Joined Jun 21, 2019
[55180.346093] usb 3-4: new full-speed USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
[55180.472887] usb 3-4: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=2303, bcdDevice= 4.00
[55180.472894] usb 3-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[55180.472898] usb 3-4: Product: USB-Serial Controller D
[55180.472902] usb 3-4: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
[55180.474742] pl2303 3-4:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
[55180.475672] usb 3-4: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Problem solved.
Am I right or wrong? The Wikipedia page for USB has a wrong USB micro pin out !(same here) or that numbering system is not for making converter or first pin doesn't carry 5v+ on all type of versions?
Another confusion came from the naming. Somewhere called micro USB female, some USB AB, some USB B micro.
I was lucky because of that engineer who put a circuit protection for his design and shame for the one who designed my inspection camera without one.
This is how it get to work.

As you see I reverse the o
I'm going to delete the image from upper post to prevent them appearing in image search result on search engines.