Congratulations - Olivia Hallisey

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'm generally on the kids side, but worry he's a pawn, based on what Mark Cuban said.

I am a racist ... a human racist.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
...worry he's a pawn...
I think that is exactly the case. There seem to be a growing number of stories from the Cuban interview and the parroting of his sister to stories of classmates. Who put him up to the idea that taking the guts out of a clock was an accomplishment worth taking to school and methodically showing every teacher through the day? I could understand showing it to a shop teacher, science teacher or technology teacher (computers/robotics) but there is no reason to show it to his history or english teachers.

I think it was very likely he was told to do it by some family member or friend and he was trying to get a response out of someone - anyone.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
This is what happens when children are in charge.

Jr. High.

The greatest fear to politicians and bureaucrats is a truthfully informed, reasoning citizen.

Our education system and free press have eliminated that.

I think this lump is nothing compared to what’s coming.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If you trust the total education of your children to the government and media then you deserve what you get.

When I look at these bright kids I see parents that pushed them to excel. I'm not knocking teachers but they are more inn keepers than educators today. I'm lucky mine all attended small country type schools when young with real homework, study and I pushed them to excel.

I have an idea of the pride those parents felt.
My Mom and first kid with honors.
P6030004.JPG

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
When I look at these bright kids I see parents that pushed them to excel. I'm not knocking teachers but they are more inn keepers than educators today. I'm lucky mine all attended small country type schools when young with real homework, study and I pushed them to excel.
You are lucky! Your kids apparently had a reason to follow through on their being pushed and must have seen some end point rewards that were worth effort. :cool:

My parents pushed me and my brother to excel as kids but at some point in our school level lifes both of us hit a point where we started questioning where all that push was going and what exactly we were getting from it and came to solid conclusions that for the efforts being put out and expected of us there was no foreseeable gains for ourselves personally other than more work to be had and thus rather went the other way. :oops:

We also have a few cousins who went similar paths as well. The reasons behind the parental push didn't show enough personal end gain to bother with so we all in one way or another hit early burn out and moved into drastically different life attitudes and outcomes that our parents were pushing for.:(

Sure we're bums but at least we are happy bums. :p

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
You are lucky! Your kids apparently had a reason to follow through on their being pushed and must have seen some end point rewards that were worth effort. :cool:

My parents pushed me and my brother to excel as kids but at some point in our school level lifes both of us hit a point where we started questioning where all that push was going and what exactly we were
Sure we're bums but at least we are happy bums. :p
No problem with bums that work for a living as I got to where
I am today by hard work and blackmail.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I wonder if clock-boy is less eager to head to Mecca, now that so many have died in the stampedes there.

I also wonder how it would have gone for him if he had tried to enter that Google event with his "clock".

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not well on the last part, but then, the story was about major over-reactions.

Lets drop the thread about Ahmed, and keep it on the kids that really did do something special (and even spectacular).

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I used to carry a homemade lock pick set around with me in high school. I'd cause all kinds of mischief, but I was smart enough to never get caught. Unlike Mohammed, I had no point to prove... except that I could.