Computer sound level measring

anaskoara

Joined Mar 25, 2008
Hi all
I have software that produces sine wave sound and I want to measure the amplitude o f this sound and compare it with another sine wave sound produced by another device(not computer)
how can I do that is AC voltmeter is enough or I should have oscilloscope

best Wishes

anaskoara

Joined Mar 25, 2008
someone told me voltmeter can measure volt of 50hz or 60 HZ not
I am not sure of that !
can ordinary voltmeter measure volt of 1kHz?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Sound reflects off things indoors. The phase of the reflections could cancel some of the sound or add to it.

Non-reverberant anechoic chambers are used to measure sound levels from speakers.
I did it outdoors in a field with the speaker pointing straight up to the microphone that was hanging above it. There were no echoes to cause interference.

An ordinary voltmeter is made to measure 50Hz or 60Hz and has less output at higher frequencies. The error is different for each range.

Newer software makes an FFT signal or pink noise which are not affected by reflections as much as sine-waves.

anaskoara

Joined Mar 25, 2008
Thank you for response

do you think there is better way to measure the amplitude of sound measured by computer sound card it produce sine wave
Is not enough to measure volt change that the sound card produce

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A sound card does not produce sound. I don't think you want to measure sound.

The sound card produces a sine-wave signal and I think you want to measure its AC voltage. Its amplitude is its AC voltage.

anaskoara

Joined Mar 25, 2008
I am going to told you may problem and you please find me sloution I have device that produce sine wave sound at given frequency and I want computer to produce the exact sound from computer I can produce the sound with the same frequency but How can I be sure they have tha same amplitude thanks