computer controlled timing for a USB greenhouse

pieman

Joined Jan 26, 2008
I've recently made a USB greenhouse using the following tutorial...
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-a-usb-greenhouse
I was wondering if it was possible to have the computer turn the light off at certain times.
Perhaps if it were possible to cut power to the usb port at certain times.
I'm using Windows XP and can write programs using blitz basic but thats all unfortunalty.
Is what I want possible?
Thanks for your help.
Pieman

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Using USB ports involves controllers at both ends that have to work together. I'm not familiar with Btitz Basic - are there examples in the code libraries that use USB comms? And you will need something at the other end to talk back. That's usually a small microcontroller.

Some of the ability of any computer to control events at a distance is the distance involved. USB, Firewire, and parallel port distances are not more than 4 meters. Even the serial port is going to run into distance limitations.

If you want to get more involved in computing, think about a system built around a microcontroller. Having the wee beastie in the greenhouse lets you track more variables and gives better control.

pieman

Joined Jan 26, 2008
I was thinking something much more simple. For the Greenhouse I'm just using the red (5V) and black (ground) wires. I'm not using the D + or - wires at all. I was wondering if it was possible to get windows to cut the current to the specific USB drive at different times of the day?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Can't be done - the USB port power is not controlled by the computer.

What were you planning on doing with 100 ma @ 5 volts? It can probably be done with an output from the parallel port (if you have one).