complex waveforms

racerx

Joined Jan 8, 2005
Hi,
I've been trying to construct a triangular waveform using excel. This is part of an assignemnt i'm doing, in which i've already constructed a squarewave and sawtooth waveform.

The formula i've been using to try and create this triangular wave is shown below:-

v= Vsin(wt)+ v/9sin(3wt-pi)+V/25sin(5wt-pi)...... and so on.

I'm pretty sure this is wrong as i've read that alternate odd harmonics must be in antipahse with the fundamental.

Can someone please provide a sensible formula for creating a triangular wave, i've looked on the net but there isn't much information!!

Thanks
Matt

Brandon

Joined Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by racerx@Jan 8 2005, 02:51 PM
Hi,
I've been trying to construct a triangular waveform using excel. This is part of an assignemnt i'm doing, in which i've already constructed a squarewave and sawtooth waveform.

The formula i've been using to try and create this triangular wave is shown below:-

I'm pretty sure this is wrong as i've read that alternate odd harmonics must be in antipahse with the fundamental.

Can someone please provide a sensible formula for creating a triangular wave, i've looked on the net but there isn't much information!!

Thanks
Matt
[post=4472]Quoted post[/post]​
A triangular wave is nearly the exact same as a square wave with different coefficients.

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=%2Bfourie...s/srfourtr.html

racerx

Joined Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by Brandon@Jan 8 2005, 07:15 PM
A triangular wave is nearly the exact same as a square wave with different coefficients.

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=2766679/K=%2Bfourie...s/srfourtr.html
[post=4477]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm afriad that for some reason I can't see the program that the link takes you to! I don't know if i havn't got right software to see the stuff. My java is upto date so I dunno what could be wrong!!

Thanks

racerx

Joined Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by racerx@Jan 8 2005, 03:51 PM
Hi,

Thanks
Matt
[post=4472]Quoted post[/post]​

The information i was given by brandon wasn't what I was looking for, so if anyone can help I still need it.

The link to the formula brandon provided was good but I need something that includes a fundamental frequency. This is due to my assignment being based on a fundamental of 130 hz.

Thanks
Matt

racerx

Joined Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by racerx@Jan 9 2005, 07:31 PM
The information i was given by brandon wasn't what I was looking for, so if anyone can help I still need it.

The link to the formula brandon provided was good but I need something that includes a fundamental frequency. This is due to my assignment being based on a fundamental of 130 hz.

Thanks
Matt
[post=4497]Quoted post[/post]​

Well thanks for any replies I did get, but i've sorted it now. If anyone is actually interested the correct formula is V= Vsin(wt) + V/3^2 Sin(3wt-pi) + v/5^2 Sin(5wt)+ V/7^2 sSin(7wt-pi)... and so on

Just means that the harmonics must alternate in phase with the fundamental.

Cheers :eek:)