Combining two electronics into one powers supply

Darmot

Joined Jun 4, 2013
I am hoping that someone can help me with a project I am working on. I am working on creating a portable gaming console using a computer monitor and an xbox. I have the whole thing pretty much worked out aside from the power supply. I would like to try and combine both into one power supply to cut out some of the bulk and weight. The monitor takes 100-240v 1.5A. The xbox has an ac adapter that inputs 100-127v ~5A and outputs 203W 12V-16.5A, 5vsb-1A (as stated on the adapter itself).

I have been looking into some AC-DC converters on this site. I am not sure if I'm on the right track or just way off so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You already have an AC-DC converter. It's the AC adaptor that is powering the XBox. Whatever is powering that adaptor just needs a cord to go to the monitor. Where is it that you are hoping to achieve this bulk and weight savings?

Are you trying to power this console from something other than an AC mains outlet? If so, that is a completely different problem. You need to provide details. We are not mind readers.

Darmot

Joined Jun 4, 2013
Sorry for any left out details. I guess what I am trying to do is replace the current converter since it is extremely bulky and heavy. As for powering it, I plan on using a regular AC outlet. Ultimately I want to have a single chord going to the outlet and either coming into a converter or something before powering each electronic.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If your XBox needs 12V at something up in the 16A range and also 5V in the amp-plus range, then your supply is probably going to be a bit bulky.