Color Sensor

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Been using a "light dependant resistor" as a color sensor in a test fixture I've designed.. To determine if a Bi-Color LED is either Red or Green... Its been working great as the intensity between green and red was far enough apart that the LDR had no problems detecting the difference..

BUT of course now I have a new fixture to design and the LEDs use in this product have the same intensity between each color..

Would some sort of "filter" (red disc or green disc) applied over the LDR help? Any suggestions on that?
I'm not well versed in color filters and what really happens

Or anyone have a suggestion on a low cost "color" sensor that I might try?
Biggest mechanical issue is that there are multiple LEDs about 3/8" apart so I'm afraid I'd need optical tubes with it...

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
for just red and green, whynot use red and green leds? they generate a voltage when light is shown on them, most voltage when its the color they radiate. cheap to try, anyway.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
for just red and green, whynot use red and green leds? they generate a voltage when light is shown on them, most voltage when its the color they radiate. cheap to try, anyway.
That was going to be my second test..
First is a green "filter (disc)" over the LDR to see how it effects the readings.. (and yes I just busted out a green Sharpie over some clear mylar film and the hole punch) :confused:... I'll mcgyvr it