Coding needed.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Aah! that..!!
One problem.

I am really happy that you took the initiative...but I have given some what my word to MarkD77..
I really don't want to disappoint good friends.

I mean I like to involve him too

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Looks like I have to be more careful with everything I say.
I have no intention of doing any or all of this project by myself. You are welcome and entitled to invite anyone you please.

My question is, do we continue to discuss this project on AAC, or you want to create a private space, email/website/forum that is private but only invited members can contribute. Email is not good for this. There are other solutions we can investigate.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I don't mean to be difficult and I am not trying to be difficult. There seems to be a breakdown of communication here. I am asking if you want to continue discussion on AAC or do you want to talk about this some other place. I asked this question back at post #19. You still have not answered. Please don't be angry with me. I am not that type of person. We can start another site and anyone that wants to follow would have to PM you to get the info (link/password?) to access the site.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Nope..never ......la ..nada

I am never angry, even if u kick me on the groins, I would say "what was that for?"

Site ? What site ?

{ed}
Hellooooooo ! where do I start.

Can we first start on the terminal or the controller..

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
We should just share a GPG Key for the code posts, those actively adding to it have a key, those who don't can't decrypt the .zip file.

That is the simplest way to do a private collaboration on a public forum. Don't use .zip or .rar passwords, as those can be hacked fairly easily.

I use BoostC for about everything, but have trial versions of other compilers, and I don't think this project will hit the limit of any trial version.

The hardware sourcing, such as 10 gauge steel box with security screws and vandal proof switches/conduit will be the fun part for RIFAA. :D

--ETA: Start on the 3 button terminals w/indicators, so it can be optimized to as simple as possible, making a run of PC Boards cheaper, and allowing the trimming down to the bare minimum PIC for lowest cost. The master will be a one off (or two-off) to start, so I'm sure feature creep will be added into that, whereas the terminals are pretty straightforward, outside of addressing scheme and the RS-485 interface, oh, and power.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Everything is fun for me if it consist learning.

I dunno about this RS 485 part so I need a heads up with what chip to use for the terminal. From there I can draw the schema.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 'm not sure I like the idea of coded messages on the public area of the forums?

Rifaa, why don't you take this conversation on a new blog of yours, where you can set the privacy options and make it visible only to your AAC friends list? That way you will have a wide feedback and readability and at the same time privacy within the forum.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I'd start with the terminal. Assuming that it would use the same data format as RS-232, the terminal function can be tested using a PC, with the exception of the RS-485 part (I hadn't understood the part about having to set the chips at each end to input and output mode).
Using a 18 pin PIC for the terminal, like my suggestion in post 23, there would now be 6 pins for setting the ID of the terminal.
Does that sound like a good idea? Would you ever need more than 64 terminals?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It would be cool to store the ID in the Data EEPROM. The ID could then be given to the slave from the master unit. Or via the GUI on the PC program. This will also give better control. So it is less change for duplicate unit IDs

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
You could have a switch under the cover of the terminal that puts it into "set ID mode" and then type a number on the master console.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Rifaa, why don't you take this conversation on a new blog of yours, where you can set the privacy options and make it visible only to your AAC friends list? That way you will have a wide feedback and readability and at the same time privacy within the forum.
Have not heard back from R!f@@. Maybe sleep finally caught up with him.
I don't want to hijack his project but I have a forum waiting for him. We can layout a terminal board with full software specs but I still need to hear the purpose and objectives of the project. It is best to discuss this on a private forum. If members who have posted on this thread feel that a new forum is not a good idea, I am open to suggestions.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Sleep !..HA ! u wish. I am still up. Had sent wifey away for vacation and I am ruling the house. cause now everybody is on Vacation.
And tonight I am partying.

IMHO...I wish to leave everything open except for the program codes.
Let's see what other say.
If more vote goes to move then we'll move.

can't sleep without seeing all my effort about Sgt title. NO.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U know that is my next mission...haven't been able to convince admin about a more experienced member based area for patented and private projects u know.

Anyways...for Mark's question ....Max is 20 terminal at worst.

OK ..here's what I think.
Let's start making the terminal. I still like people to learn from it. We can prevent stealing if we tried.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Here is the block diagram for the terminal:

Notes:

1. This is a simple design. If thru-hole socketed DIP package is used for the MCU, the ISP can be eliminated. For SMD, ISP will be needed.

2. Any amount of EEPROM is needed for configuration storage, minimum 1 byte. 256 bytes would be more than enough.

3. I am not a fan of PIC but am willing to forgo my biases.