Cobra 29 LTD Classic Repair

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I manage to save a Cobra 29 LTD Classic (From China) from the trash because the unit has a couple issues .. It's the pretties unit but it will work as my personal back up unit for work.. I already have several parts coming but I don't have a mic or antenna to test with and will have to figure something out .. Also is there anyone who knows these units or atleast common weak points???
Oh is there any possible way we could discuss modifications to the unit ??

Issues
1-SWR meter bulb burned out
2-LED display is missing a couple segments
3-Doesn't receive very well unless right next to some one
4-It won't transmit and when keyed up it short out and shuts down

Thanks
Jay

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Oh would anyone know what this kind of ribbon cable is called and where it can be found ???

@BReeves
Thanks and not sure it will work because mine was made in 06' but appreciate the help

It would help to know the pitch. I found this http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/0250010802/WM08-02A-ND/857950

10 cond is listed, pitch 0.1" (Same as a standard IC socket)

I bought some flex jumpers from digikey that actually had pins on either side. It's hard to search for though, they had sockets specific for ribbon cables as well. They were similar to these: http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...-connectors/A9AAT-0403E/A9AAT-0403E-ND/470334 They had sockets that fit the ends too. Not sure of the pitch.

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
What's wrong with using what you have, it's just wire and doesn't look to be broken. I would probably just replace it with jumpers if I were going to replace it at all.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Sorry for delay.

I managed to fix the burnt out led display with a brand new in solid green vs the stock lime green.. Also the light for swr meter has been fix with a green led..There was some cold solder joints that I touch up and thinking about resolder the whole board.. No further testing has been done but I might get it back together tonight for some testing in the truck..