Cluess newbies

AFPara

Joined Feb 5, 2015
and the key to brevity is actually knowing what you want!
As a newbie with zero experience, and zero training in the subject, I can say for myself that brevity may cause more difficulty. I figure if it takes me 1,000 words for you to understand what I'm trying to say, that is better than you NOT understanding what I'm trying to say in 500 words or less.

Granted, I get the original gist of this thread, but I also get that you don't want to spend an hour trying to get to the meat and potatoes of the topic.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Granted, I get the original gist of this thread, but I also get that you don't want to spend an hour trying to get to the meat and potatoes of the topic.
And therein lies one major problem. Meat and potatoes are better discussed on another forum.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
  • I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time.
-Blaise Pascal

In other words, brevity takes effort!
You are right. Point is, that long texts are not appealing, like those CVs, four or five pages long. Trust me: nobody reads them completely.

When I write my reports (part of my job for the last 24 years), when I post an OP, just contribute or simply comment / tell a story, I keep in mind:

Not all that comes to mind, must go into your text.

Unnecessary words are just that: unnecessary.

Emphasis? Just HALF OF WHAT YOU THINK IS NEEDED...!!!!!!!!

And many many other things I keep for myself. :p :D

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Think newspaper article,

State the main points in the first paragraph, short as possible,

then, if feel me information is needed, then add the extra.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Yeah another rant on clueless newbies.
[rant]

I noticed today that Bertus had to break out at least two posts into new threads where the OP hijacked a similar thread. In addition the post asked about a problem but offered no detail as to the problem.

How can new forum members be so clueless to forum etiquette? It is not like out rules are unique to forums or forums just recently came on to the scene. How can one be so clueless as to not figure out how to create a new thread?

And then there is the question. No information. My theory there is that the poster's English is so poor they can barely ask a simple question let alone describe the problem. My question is that if their English is so poor, how do they expect to understand the answer?

[/rant]
Well if you are done with your rant I need some homework help. Actually I would prefer you just do my homework for me, could you please do that? Maybe better put could u plz do my homework 4 me?

While new to this forum it is not my first rodeo. I figure it this way, every electronics enthusiast starts somewhere, I also frequently see questions posted and well written by for example mechanical engineering types with limited electronics training or schooling. That isn't unusual and prior to my retiring it wasn't unusual to have one of our mechanical engineering types in my office with the same questions. While I do not expect every new enthusiast to understand everything I do expect them to effectively communicate their question. Finally we all have the option to simply ignore post or threads we choose not to get involved in.

Now if you will excuse me I need to get back to working on my perpetual motion machine.

Thank You and Have a Lovely AAC Day....
Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Congratulations BTW. That's my next big goal.
Yeah, finally things paid off. I love being retired and just enjoying things. I retired in '2013 at 63 and have really enjoyed the time to do what I want to do. Turned 65 today and come May it will be two years. You will love it. :)

Thanks
Ron

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I'll pay off my last bill in about 6 years (my house) I'll be 61 then, but unless I get some good paying, long term work, I won't be able to retire then. I just have to take advantage of any time I have now to do the things I dream of.

Anyone who is able to actually retire is an instant hero of mine.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yeah, finally things paid off. I love being retired and just enjoying things. I retired in '2013 at 63 and have really enjoyed the time to do what I want to do. Turned 65 today and come May it will be two years. You will love it. :)

Thanks
Ron
Powerball tonight, nearly $400M should be enough for early retirement. Damn the odds, I'm throwing in $2.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Thanks
Ron
In that case, I wish you a very, very happy birthday! :) No wonder you felt like grilling today!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I'll pay off my last bill in about 6 years (my house) I'll be 61 then, but unless I get some good paying, long term work, I won't be able to retire then. I just have to take advantage of any time I have now to do the things I dream of.

Pretty close to what we did. We did not carry any debt for several years before we retired. We were fortunate in that we both had good stable jobs with a good income and kids grown with kids
In that case, I wish you a very, very happy birthday! :) No wonder you felt like grilling today!
Thank You Much....
Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015

Pretty close to what we did. We did not carry any debt for several years before we retired. We were fortunate in that we both had good stable jobs with a good income and kids grown with kids. The trick if there is one is to make a good plan and stick to it.

Ron

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'd take young and impoverished over retired and wealthy any day...I miss the energy.