Closure of our electronics club

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
13,797
Hi,

I know the feeling. I was sad when all the chess clubs around here started closing up. We had some good times playing sometimes all night until 4am. The club runners either got into other things or got too old to do it anymore and no one took over apparently. I think there might be still one in the general area, but it's just still too far to travel for me just to play chess. I also went to the Manhattan Chess Club, an historic club, but that's in New York city and so poses some serious travel concerns even coming from New Jersey.

I also considered starting a real electronics club too but the potential members live too far apart being scattered in different states. There is an Amateur Radio League around here somewhere but they meet farther away than the chess club i mentioned above, and also in some nasty traffic areas.

So in the end most of us default to on line activities. I made a lot of friends though and actually met some in person too, the ones that did not live too far off.
 

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
529
Your mention of warning labels reminds me of a cheap clothes iron that had a label that read "do not iron clothes while on body" and the instuctions on the bottom of a chocolate gateau box that stated in big letters "DO NOT INVERT"
Poor old Darwin, hes got to be crying in his grave!
 

Thread Starter

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
985
I really do not know much about that issue, especially in a different country than where I reside, but two points come to mind.

First, it is a shame. I remember you talking about the club quite a while ago and I was impressed - it just seemed like such a valuable part of the community.

Second, is it not possible for the public education system to allow/encourage/underwrite/enable such activities? IOW provide the space and adherence to the umbrella of regulations?

I wonder about how all of the Makerspace facilities here manage.
Two young members were from a school where the technology teacher was also a member. He wrote to the education authority and the county council to see if they would be able to provide a suitable facility but with no luck due to financial constraints.
I worry that in future, all such enterprises will be stifled by regulations that seem to have been imagined and drawn up to cover any eventuality now that we live in this society where everything is someone elses fault and will sue to the nth degree because we can't accept any blame for our own actions or stupidity. (I guess the legal proffession love it though)
When I was a child, I lived in post war London just after WW2. It took a decade to clear up and repair the damage caused by Hitler's blitz. If I tripped over a broken paving slab, my mother said " you should look where you're putting your feet" never dreaming of sueing the council for uneven sidewalks!
 

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
30,813
When I was a child, I lived in post war London just after WW2. It took a decade to clear up and repair the damage caused by Hitler's blitz. If I tripped over a broken paving slab, my mother said " you should look where you're putting your feet" never dreaming of sueing the council for uneven sidewalks!
Never mind the council, it was Adolf's fault!
Just like the shrapnel he damaged our roof with!:p
Max.
 

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
7,830
When I was a child, I lived in post war London just after WW2. It took a decade to clear up and repair the damage caused by Hitler's blitz. If I tripped over a broken paving slab, my mother said " you should look where you're putting your feet" never dreaming of sueing the council for uneven sidewalks!
There are way too few people left like your mom. Way too many people that want to blame their stupidity on someone else. Then we all need to pay for it in one manner or the other,
 
Top