clock speed little question

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I plan to program in assembly language...I'm confortable wit assembly and not with C
Oh this is scary now! Is there a Pic out there with midrange architecture and that can run with ~60Mhz to ~80Mhz????
Thanks!
Please tell us what you want to do in more details. You have nothing to gain by being so cryptic.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
And in post #8 I tried explaining why I need a PIC uC that can run at ~80Mhz!
Usually people use dedicates speech Chip to make the implementation much easier...and I don't want to...plus the system must be real time...so need a fast chip to do all the big computations...

Unfortunately PIC divides its frequency by 4...

Hope errthing is clear now!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Well I have a PIC that runs at 80 MHz, but that's both the clock and the instruction rate, so it is probably too fast for you.
Please tell me more about ur PIC...give me its number so I can check its datasheet! Is it a midrange architecture PIC??

Regards, Eric

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Yon need 80MHz speed in PIC for what?is it the clock cycle speed or instruction cycle speed.
You can overclock many PIC to get that clock speed 80MHz i.e.. 20 MIPS,but overclocking is not a good idea,sometimes you damage your device...

PIC32 architecture have its highest execution speed of 80 MIPS
http://www.microchip.com/en_us/technology/graphics/products/pic32lccg.html

Out of Microchip their are many ATMEL's product that provide high speed like ATMega,XMega..range.

Good Luck

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Maybe a PIC18F will get close, they typically run up to 40MHz (10 million instructions per second), the instruction set is not too different to PIC16, and they have a few features that mean they are more powerful for the same speed as a PIC16, like a single cycle 8X8 bit multiply instruction and automatic saving of W, Status, in interrupts.
I haven't used any yet, but I'll get round to it when I need a little more power.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I was referring to a PIC32MX460F512L. The PIC32's run with a 1x clock to instruction rate, so an 80MHz clock gives you a base 80MHz instruction rate, but since it has cache and other considerations that's a maximum.

It would be far easier to learn C then to learn assembler for these.

Doing a little data mining from the product selectors gives these results for max speeds:

baseline 12 MIPS
PIC18J 12 MIPS
PIC18K 16 MIPS
PIC24F 16 MIPS
PIC24H 40 MIPS
PIC24E 70 MIPS
dsPIC33F 40 MIPS
dsPIC30E 30 MIPS
dsPIC33E 70 MIPS
PIC32 80 MIPS (heard much mush faster is coming soon if not out already)