Clock based switch

John Goings

Joined Jul 20, 2015
Hello, i am new to the group but i am not new to electronics. i have 10 years experience building circuit boards as a career. i run SMT machines and have some hand soldering background. enough about me I'm working on a project for home. basically i want to have a circuit similar to an alarm clock but instead of tripping an alarm i want it to be able to flip a switch. i want to be able to set the clock with a time the switch turns on and a time it turns off. am i able to adapt something like an lm8560 circuit with a 6052 duplex display or should i look elsewhere? i am a newb to making schematics so any and all help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

John Goings

Joined Jul 20, 2015
You are right can't beat that price. However that product does not meet My needs. I appreciate the reply. Besides what's the fun in purchasing something like that when you can create design and build what you need? Lol

John Goings

Joined Jul 20, 2015
Yes you are correct that it is a clock based switch and does in essence what I described. However it does not match the fact that I would like to build and design the item for my application. All I'm asking for is help with the circuits. Thanks for your reply

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
You might have misunderstood the intent of my question. But good response - design and build is why we're all here. And if you *really* want to be flooded with "help", say the magic words - five five five ...

Most LSI clock chips are very convenient right up to the point where they won't do what you want. I don't recall a single chip alarm clock part with two alarm settings. If there is one, it greatly reduces the number of parts and connections. To go truly from scratch, there are a ton of digital clock schematics and projects on the web, and many of them can be adapted to a dual-alarm critter. The problem is the alarm display. Functionaly, you have one display with three inputs, the time of day, the turn on time, and the turn off time. Certainly doable with lotsa logic counters and registers and multiplexers. Or a PIC, Arduino, RasPi, etc.

A hybrid approach is two fully independent alarm clock circuits, standard one-alarm guys based on one fat chip (kits, modules, whatever). Then externaly take the two alarm outputs to a flip flop to control the output relay or switch the way you want. The only hassle is having to set the time on two clocks when the power bounces. Given what you can get from china for pennies, this probably is the shortest time, effort, and cost solution.

ak

John Goings

Joined Jul 20, 2015
You might have misunderstood the intent of my question. But good response - design and build is why we're all here. And if you *really* want to be flooded with "help", say the magic words - five five five ...

Most LSI clock chips are very convenient right up to the point where they won't do what you want. I don't recall a single chip alarm clock part with two alarm settings. If there is one, it greatly reduces the number of parts and connections. To go truly from scratch, there are a ton of digital clock schematics and projects on the web, and many of them can be adapted to a dual-alarm critter. The problem is the alarm display. Functionaly, you have one display with three inputs, the time of day, the turn on time, and the turn off time. Certainly doable with lotsa logic counters and registers and multiplexers. Or a PIC, Arduino, RasPi, etc.

A hybrid approach is two fully independent alarm clock circuits, standard one-alarm guys based on one fat chip (kits, modules, whatever). Then externaly take the two alarm outputs to a flip flop to control the output relay or switch the way you want. The only hassle is having to set the time on two clocks when the power bounces. Given what you can get from china for pennies, this probably is the shortest time, effort, and cost solution.

ak
Wow yeah I never even considered a flip flop. Interesting. I was thinking an xor gate but a flip flop would probably be easier.