clock based stepper motor controller

vipin gulati

Joined May 18, 2015
Dear friends,
I am building a project where my requirement is to make a driver for stepper motor to rotate 15 degree after every 1 hour. I want to achieve it using clock so that stepper motor take a step at 9 AM, 10 AM, 11 AM and so on.

Please suggest the components (stepper, motor, controller etc) which I should use.
Is there any exist product available.

Is there anyone who can help me design the product.

vipin gulati

Joined May 18, 2015
You could use an Arduino and a stepper driver board with a RTC module, all easily sourced and simple for a beginner.
Thanks for your help.
There are 16 type of Arduino available. Which one should I purchase. UNO or mega or any other.
I believe RTC would provide input to Arduino and Arduino will provide input to stepper motor driver so do i need to look for stepper motor driver with RTC or both separately.
Appreciate your patience as I am new to electronics design.

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
Thanks for your help.
There are 16 type of Arduino available. Which one should I purchase. UNO or mega or any other.
I believe RTC would provide input to Arduino and Arduino will provide input to stepper motor driver so do i need to look for stepper motor driver with RTC or both separately.
Appreciate your patience as I am new to electronics design.
The cheapest lowest spec will do, you're not asking it to do too much.

vipin gulati

Joined May 18, 2015
If you want to buy Arduino then you could buy Arduino Leonardo compatible made in China or the original company made in Italy.

The 15 degrees that you want to reach then you may need to buy another micro-step controller, or using micro-step controller ic to build your own, because normally we only can control the step motor for 1.8 degree/step and 200 steps to reach 360 degrees.

I guess I can achieve it by triggering 9 steps of 1.8 degree each time to get rotation of 15 degree. I hope it can be done using micro controller programming.

vipin gulati

Joined May 18, 2015
Ordered RTC module, Arduino Uno, a stepper motor and its driver. Will continue working on my project after receiving my stuff. Thanks all for your help.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If you can accept the angle is not that precisely then you can choose one of them as 1.8 degree *8 steps = 14.4 degrees for 0.6 degree tolerance value, 1.8 degree *9 = 16.2 degrees for 1.2 degree tolerance value.