Clapp Oscillator with JFET

Mirko Todorovski

Joined Jul 13, 2016
Hello,

I was trying to build Clapp oscillator with a JFET (J310) as it is shown in the figure.
clapp-j310.png
Capacitor C is variable and goes from 20 pF to 285 pF. I have connected C3 in series to get suitable equivalent capacitance. With the given values I should get frequencies between 800 kHz and 2 MHz. The simulation confirms this.

However, the circuit on the bench does not behaves as in the simulation. With C = 285 pF I get about 800 kHz with about 3.6 Vpp. Once I start to decrease C the output amplitude starts to decrease and at about 1.5 MHz the oscillator stops. Shouldn't the amplitude be approximately constant as it is in the simulation? Why it decreases? Does the transistor gain goes down and why?

I have tried with a breadboard and with a PCB (Manhattan style) and the results are the same.

Best regards,

Mirko

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The transistor's gain is probably not the thing that is changing. It might be that C1 and C2 are shunting too much of the tank's energy to ground. One solution might be to decrease C1 and C2, another possible solution is to use a higher Q inductor for L. These are only guesses.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The Clapp (an improvement on the Colpitts) it meant to NOT vary the C1, C2 ratio.

You should use C to vary frequency.

Edit: Pardon my post. I misread something somewhere.

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I would agree with bertus.......all I see have a higher resistance. And I am with Dick on losing feedback at higher frequencies.

Try a choke in the supply, it might help restore that feedback. I would want some impediment to ac in supply line anyway.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Remember, the simulation uses ideal components with no parasitic elements, thus the tank circuit has infinite Q, etc.
Your actual circuit does not.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Remember, the simulation uses ideal components with no parasitic elements, thus the tank circuit has infinite Q, etc.
Your actual circuit does not.
In an actual device the gate-source cutoff voltage can be as much as 6.5 volts. This means that the FET may not work 0n a 5 volt power supply. Try a higher power supply voltage and see what happens. (A 9-volt battery should be good enough voltage for a test).

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
The transistor's gain is probably not the thing that is changing. It might be that C1 and C2 are shunting too much of the tank's energy to ground. One solution might be to decrease C1 and C2, another possible solution is to use a higher Q inductor for L. These are only guesses.
Bingo. :)

Mirko Todorovski

Joined Jul 13, 2016
Hello,

The schematic in the wiki shows a higher drain resistor:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ElectronicOscillator_Clapp-JFET-D.svg

Bertus
I have tried that, but does not help. This is the solution: