clamper

vaneet

Joined Jan 25, 2006
Hello all! I am very new in eelctronic circuit design. I am struck with some problem related with clamping. I have got one sensor which gives frequency pulse output of around 5 kHZ and voltage level of this pulse is between 3.5 Volts to 11.3 volts.

I want to clamp the lower value of this voltage which is 3.5 volts to zero volts. SO, i want pulse signal of same frequency as I/P signal but the voltage level should be between 0 Volts to 7.8 Volts .
can anybody among this team of technocrats help me out in this???

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Lot of things we don't know, i.e. circuit impeadence (input, output) etc. Many different methods may be applicable, using a buffer may be the best.... another simple method may just be to use a 3.3v zener (or as close to 3.5 as u can find) in series with the signal with a pull down resistor of suitable value on the output.

aac

Joined Jun 13, 2005
Originally posted by vaneet@Jan 25 2006, 03:53 AM
Hello all! I am very new in eelctronic circuit design. I am struck with some problem related with clamping. I have got one sensor which gives frequency pulse output of around 5 kHZ and voltage level of this pulse is between 3.5 Volts to 11.3 volts.

I want to clamp the lower value of this voltage which is 3.5 volts to zero volts. SO, i want pulse signal of same frequency as I/P signal but the voltage level should be between 0 Volts to 7.8 Volts .
can anybody among this team of technocrats help me out in this???
[post=13451]Quoted post[/post]​
What you need ia a DC restorer circuit. A simple approach is a capacitor into a diode connected to ground. What happens in a DC restorer is that over many cycles of your sensor output the capacitor charges up to the average value of your signal. This shifts the signal down by that amount after the capacitor. Of course how much the signal is shifted depends on the duty cycle, source resistance, and load resistance of your circuit.