circuit design to connect 20 servo motor to power source

godbol

Joined Feb 21, 2017
hi guys

am working on a project where i need to connect 20 servo motor to a power source.The 20 control ports will be connected to Arduino. The arduino has its power source from USB.
the only servo motor properties i have are below :
stall torque : 1.8kg/cm
operating speed : .1sec/60 degrees(4.8v)
operating voltake : 4.8 v.
not sure of current rating and they are very small servos. the width n height are almost half of an avg finger length.

i tried using mobile charging adapter that has power rating 5v - 0.7A but was not sufficient enough to rotate even 4 of them.i guess the current is not enough as they got divided by 4 .i connected the servos in parallel.
I have another adaptor of 9 v - 1 amp but afraid of using as it may damage the servos.

can you pls suggest as how can i source the servos.
pls note i know only basics.

thank you.

Regards,
Sandeep

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Well, if it will operate 3 but not 4 with 700mA you should be able to operate 20 at 700/3 * 20 = 4667mA.

You need a 5A 5V power supply. Look for ones designed for LED strips which are now quite common at this voltage and current range.

Bob

godbol

Joined Feb 21, 2017
Well, if it will operate 3 but not 4 with 700mA you should be able to operate 20 at 700/3 * 20 = 4667mA.

You need a 5A 5V power supply. Look for ones designed for LED strips which are now quite common at this voltage and current range.

Bob
thanks a lot Bob, i did few experiments using different combinations acc. to your suggestion. 4 of them runs perfectly with 5v 2amp supply. got my ans for 20 of them.