Christian Preachers at my College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Fine, fine. By popular demand, I declare this thread closed. You cannot discuss about its topic anymore.

Oh! you 're wondering why you can still post? For a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, I have just returned from family Orthodox Easter vacations (are they plural?) feeling pretty perky and content. They involved, among others, skewering a lamb and roasting it for 5 hours before eating it, as per my religions directives.

Secondly, you guys impress me day by day, by keeping civilized discussions over the hottest potatoes. I just can't bring myself to close such a well-mannered thread.

Finally, it always bugs me when I close a thread and people don't get to comment on my decision. This time, it can be done.

P.S. Wouldn't this thread be much more interesting if we had Chinese representatives and if the Indian guys weren't so shy?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Tolerance. Like a muscle, tolerance must be exercised or it will atrophy. Tolerance is allowing your neighbor to have his beliefs in peace, even though you don't believe in them yourself.

So far I am seeing tolerance. It is in short supply, always. That is why this thread has not been closed by me.

If it fades the thread will be closed. It has already exceeded my expectations. I also suspect this is an aberration, as no outsiders have found it yet.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
It would be more interesting if there was some outside representation. I continuously look at different teachings and find Buddhism to be the closest to my own values, but really all religions are based on similar principles, where it breaks down is the interpretation of different writings, and, of course, organized religion. The clerics will bend the writing to their own needs, followers are actually to dumb to think for themselves, all throughout history, just take a look at how catholic church split... There was an interesting program once on hell, and how the visual concept of it was created as it really isn't described in the Bible.

So for me, organized religion is the best way to control the masses. I would rather choose to believe whatever I think, at the moment it is some sort of collective thought...

p.s. forgot to call my grandma about Easter, upset...

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I agree that technology has taken an unfortunate toll on family structure, but I think that true individuality is rarer today than ever before in human history. We live in the golden age of tribal behavior. Whether it is expressed by a colored ribbon, a college or team logo, a political symbol, a jailhouse tattoo, a brand on a piece of clothing, a chosen vehicle style, or the everpresent smart phone, it's still a sign of "group think" and the need to be "in." The fact that technological advancements allow some group members to be physically separated from the herd is irrelevant. :)
I'd like to respond to that even though the thread was "closed" and we are discussing human behaviour independent to religion anyway. :)

Yes people have a need to belong. My suggestion that we are moving away from tribal attitudes is not based on any individual's need to belong but was based on an observation that as man develops he is becoming less tribal in behaviour. Specifically that he does not tend to live in the same locale where he was born, learn from the same people in that locale that have the same beliefs and automatically become just like the local "tribe".

As an example at one end you have actual native tribes, all dressing the same, living in the same small locale and all thinking and believing the same. Even 100 years ago people behaved in that same fashion, there were neighbourhoods and cities where people had the same skin colour, talked the same language, and all had the same religion. The world wars were a breaking down of that tribal behaviour, brought on in many ways by increased interaction of different peoples allowed by technology of fast ships and RADIO. Ie; the start of the age of fast travel and access to new information.

These days you would be hard pressed to find a whole city full of people all the same colour speaking the same language and believing the same beliefs, unless you were to go to a city that has not really *developed* (as man is doing) and entered the modern age.

That development of man is going to continue. There is a much lower percentage of people today who automatically adopt the beliefs and behaviours of their parents and neighbours. The future will continue in that direction as people get more educated and flexible, as people will try to find the best answers for their questions instead of automatically adopting the answers accepted by their ancestors.

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
Christianity is about love and understanding.
Bit late spotting this quote, but this is exactly why I like you, and why I have such huge respect for what I see (who am I to judge) to be true Christians.

Whatever your religion, or God, or in my case lack of a God, I really think that this is really important.

Please can the whole world go with this thought? whatever your beliefs, religion or convictions

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I'd like to respond to that even though the thread was "closed" and we are discussing human behaviour independent to religion anyway. :)

Yes people have a need to belong. My suggestion that we are moving away from tribal attitudes is not based on any individual's need to belong but was based on an observation that as man develops he is becoming less tribal in behaviour. Specifically that he does not tend to live in the same locale where he was born, learn from the same people in that locale that have the same beliefs and automatically become just like the local "tribe".
I think our observations are similar, but our semantics differ. What you see as tribal, I see more as familial. And where you see "development" as positive, I am not so sure. I regret the decline of family relationships and the values that come with them, and am not convinced that technology has really improved man's originality or humanity. However, I respect your opinion and have enjoyed discussing this with you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.