Choosing IoT platform for my project

Toebs

Joined Oct 9, 2014
Hello

I hope this is the right place to post this kind of question.

I have approximately 1 acre of greenhouse (comprised of 10 pretty large greenhouses). I am working on a sensor and automation system for my greenhouses, but i am unsure which 'IoT' platform to use.

I have been looking at many services but have come down to AWS IoT, IBM Watson, Google Cloud services and Microsoft Azure. Basically i like to know that my service will not go bankrupt :).
I think i have ruled Microsoft out, because i am generally unimpressed by microsoft products (i maybe assuming wrong).

Heres a system diagram:
System diagram.png

Platform requirements:
- Easy to develop (maybe IBM is the easiest?)
- Suited for large number of sensors. I will probably have at least 1000 devices my self, and i also want to keep the option open to start selling at some point of if that becomes relevant.
- As you can see in diagram, i have a base-station with devices connected. The service should be able to handle this easily.
- Price is important. I am unsure if the difference is big between suppliers, but i think some of the price plans are hard to figure out!
- Device management: eg. if I have a sensor in "tomatoplant 102" and the sensor dies, then i can easily swap it with a new sensor of same kind and maintain historic data for that location/plant.
- Machine learning ("AI") could become relevant at some point. IBM looks very interesting in this aspect.

Somehow i am leaning most towards AWS or Google because it seems lightweight, affordable and they generally make good products imo.
Good advice is appreciated!