Chicago Electric (Harbour Freight) charger

ScaleCraft

Joined May 21, 2014
#66783. Yeah, not a very nice piece, but it was free.
Because..the single SCR has gone to silicone heaven.

This is the primary number stamped, engraved, marked on the front: S5055K
Of course, it's probably proprietary, as nobody anywhere I have looked (lots) shows it.

I would like to get it back together and functional.

Anybody have any idea what the replacement part number would be?

There are so many folks on the 'net talking about repairing or modifying these....but the repair part of the dissertations say "replace the SCR" with no clue as to where they found it.

Mouser was snake eyes. I am fairly certain DigiKey is, but then, if I had some idea of a good number...maybe not!

Thanks.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
#66783. Yeah, not a very nice piece, but it was free.
Because..the single SCR has gone to silicone heaven.

This is the primary number stamped, engraved, marked on the front: S5055K
Of course, it's probably proprietary, as nobody anywhere I have looked (lots) shows it.

I would like to get it back together and functional.

Anybody have any idea what the replacement part number would be?

There are so many folks on the 'net talking about repairing or modifying these....but the repair part of the dissertations say "replace the SCR" with no clue as to where they found it.

Mouser was snake eyes. I am fairly certain DigiKey is, but then, if I had some idea of a good number...maybe not!

Thanks.
First of all, I suppose you meant silicon heaven. Silicone heaven is a very different place!

A photo of the PCB might be helpful. Obviously a schematic would be great.

If you're sure it's an SCR, you can just find one rated to a current in excess of the current rating of your charger. An exact replacement is not necessary.