Chart of most in-demand programming skills

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Very interesting, I'm not familiar with more than half of the languages in this chart, and assembly is nowhere to be seen. Although I do quite a bit of programming in .NET, and it appears to be shrinking!

0.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Guess I'm going to need to learn Python; not that I'll need it to get a job.

Wonder why Unix isn't at the same spot as Linux? They're not that different in terms of functionality. I'd group Unix, Linux, AIX, HP-UX, SunOS together.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

Wonder why Unix isn't at the same spot as Linux? They're not that different in terms of functionality. I'd group Unix, Linux, AIX, HP-UX, SunOS together.
Best guess it that Unix utilization is not growing, but rather shrinking.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
That is the compiler's job, to convert upper level code into machine/assembly language. Says it's tech but I see Java, Oracle, sql, and some others that I never considered Tech. My son is making the big bucks doing SharePoint of all things for business/enterprise systems. I still scratch my head at that one...

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Java only has a high ranking because of cellphone development. It was a dead language (rightly so), and Google (idiots) resurrected it. And no, I'm not just a bigot against Java, I know it well, having developed multi-threaded, predictive gaming engines for cellphones with it, and other projects for various other operating systems.

Last edited:

bogosort

Joined Sep 24, 2011
Very interesting, I'm not familiar with more than half of the languages in this chart, and assembly is nowhere to be seen. Although I do quite a bit of programming in .NET, and it appears to be shrinking!
Don't worry, more than half the items in that list aren't actually languages. Of the things you might not have heard of: AWS and Azure are cloud services, Docker is a DevOps toolchain, git is a version control system, and scrum is a style of project management.

As for assembly, as you know, there as many different assembly languages as there are CPU architectures. Someone might be an expert in ARMv8 but know nothing about x86, etc. High-level languages don't have this "feature", so any top-n list is going to be heavily biased toward high-level languages. In a related issue, I think Python (and Perl before it) is over-represented in such lists because of a selection bias for general purpose scripting languages. A developer's job might be writing systems-level C code, or C++ game-engine code, or enterprise applications in Java, but regardless of their primary work, everyone uses scripts to make their lives easier. So, when a poll question asks what languages you use at work, most developers are going to check the Python box, even if there's not a single line of Python in their production code. Something similar happens in the case of job descriptions, which I believe is how this list was compiled.

bogosort

Joined Sep 24, 2011
Java only has a high ranking because of cellphone development. It was a dead language (rightly so), and Google (idiots) resurrected it. And no, I'm not just a bigot against Java, I know it well, having developed multi-threaded, predictive gaming engines for cellphones with it, and other projects for various other operating systems.
That doesn't seem to be the case. Searching for Java dev jobs, the top 10 hits I found were for applications developers in enterprise IT and cloud services; none mentioned mobile or Android.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
I spent almost four years working on pretty much nothing but Java projects (including a Java VM written in Java). How would I describe it? Vapid. Tedious. Dull. Boring! Even the wacky Javascript language won me over eventually. And that was simply because it had SOMETHING useful to offer (increased productivity, mainly) and so I was eventually able to look past its shortcomings. But Java? Not a single redeemable quality in my opinion...

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
That doesn't seem to be the case. Searching for Java dev jobs, the top 10 hits I found were for applications developers in enterprise IT and cloud services; none mentioned mobile or Android.
Your information is out of date and/or biased. One of the advantages I have, since I've been here since virtually the beginning of computer coding is that I am aware of the actual chronology of the art over time, what is come and gone, etc.

Java is a joke. Poorly designed, even more poorly implemented. It is slow because it is script running on top of an interpreter.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I spent almost four years working on pretty much nothing but Java projects (including a Java VM written in Java). How would I describe it? Vapid. Tedious. Dull. Boring! Even the wacky Javascript language won me over eventually. And that was simply because it had SOMETHING useful to offer (increased productivity, mainly) and so I was eventually able to look past its shortcomings. But Java? Not a single redeemable quality in my opinion...
I agree, and that was the consensus before it got revived by Google.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
I agree, and that was the consensus before it got revived by Google.
To be fair maybe not be very user friendly, but still quite useful for designing things like Android devices. The framework itself is pretty interesting and can do a lot if configured properly. It did have some serious flaws however.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013

There are lots of similarities but some significant differences too. For example, on the management side for AIX you would typically use SMIT, for Solaris you would use Solaris Management Console, etc..

Edit --> My original post about the kernels filtering SCSI commands was flawed, so I deleted that part. All kernels will filter specific groups of SCSI commands for non-privileged users, but the work arounds and ways to authorize users may vary between platforms.

Also when you get to the "Trusted" platforms, or compartmented mode workstation platforms, things are different. i.e. Trusted Solaris, Solaris with Trusted Extensions, Trusted AIX, whatever the Linux version is. The general goal is the same, but there are differences in implementation and therefore difference in management.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Isn’t scrum a development METHODOLOGY and not a language? As others have noted, there is a mixture of skills, methodologies and languages thus making this comparison useless.

The most interesting observation to me, is that 3rd generation languages are second in the list. While I can do everything I can possibly want in C, in Java, not so much.